gestation lengths

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
Ok, I have some hold-outs and I was wondering how long others have waited for their mares to foal, and please share the size of the mare. [i'm talking known breeding dates.]

I think right now, mine are waiting for Noah's Ark to come and take them to higher, drier ground. We've had 4-5" in the last 10 days and everything is a soupy muddy mess around here.

Thanks.

My longest gestation this year was 348 days out of a 33" mare. Turned out to be a dystocia, but the vet saved the foal.
default_smile.png

My longest this year was 351 days with a 30.5 inch mare . It is a tiny foal and she had no problem. The longest I have ever had a mare go was 364 days That was a 34 inch older mare and she did not have any trouble.

369 days ... a very leggy cremello colt, out of a mare that we'd given up on, thinking she wasn't in foal after all ... I still have him, he's 3 1/2 now, and just started driving
default_smile.png

Longest mares here were 364 and 366 days. The first one was a 33.5" mare. She was a tall, leggy, roomie mare and had no problem. It was her first foal. The other mare was also maiden! She is a 34" tall, leggy mare as well. She had another foal the year after but only went 332 days.

My longest is Meadow right now. Ughhh. She was due May 5th. Never had one go this far over but Getitia said a bunch are going over this year. Im exhausted and Bailey is due June 2nd and looking ready.

Got you all beat! I am waiting on a mare that is now at 384 days. She is 37" ASPC/AMHR mare. Vet says all looks well but my goodness!

This morning she looks very close, milk is starting to turn opaque and vulva is red and very loose. I sure hope she follows through with this sign as she has let me down on a few other signs. This time the signs all seem to be happening together so...

My mare is 33" and is either at day 362 or she caught on her next cycle. The breeder actively bred her until June 2 and then she was in pasture with the stallion and mares another month. I am heading out to the garage right now to find bicycle training wheels to put under her little belly that is almost dragging on the ground!

353 days. My beloved country vet was going out of town, and the mare was one who'd needed help previously,so, afraid to be without the vet if she needed him, I asked him to come and evaluate her. He did, said she was 'ready' enough, and we induced her. All went very well;no issues whatsoever. If memory serves, the resulting foal was Jess Rocky Rabbit, who went on to take numerous National titles for Michael Want's ranch.

I know there are those here who 'don't believe in' inducing, but I and my vet made an informed and experienced choice in this particular situation.

Margo

Got you all beat!! 34" tall maiden mare, 387 days guaranteed (with stallion only 1 day) tall leggy filly but was a little tight! I sold the mare and she did it again to her new owners. 379 days I think. Anyways, kept my sweet filly! Good luck with your foaling. I hope she doesn't go 387.

Thank you for all the replies. I feel a little better now. I have 3 mares I'm waiting on. 36" mare is 355 today, 38" mare is 346 today, and 35" mare is 344 today; I guess the two mares aren't too far past due, but after another mare (35") went only 320 days last year, this many days seem so very long.

Well my mare (avatar) is 348 days today. Vet is calling tomorrow to do a scan to double check its not a phantom as she did have one as a 4yr old (previous owner). I have to say instead of getting bigger though she looks smaller so I dont have high hopes at this stage and leaning more towards a phantom pregnancy. She was showing a lot of signs and a week ago her udder filled over the Sat and Sun but then shrunk again and by Wednesday it was back to a small loose udder.

I need to find out as I am pregnant myself and my OH is working away in UAE so I am at home with 3 kids plus animals plus pregnancy plus marestare for the last 4 wks so its starting to wear on me now.

Hi,

Well it is reassuring to hear of all the ones that have gone over and still foaled with no problems. This is my first year breeding from my 2 maidens 31 ".and the first foaled at 322 everything fine and my second is still hanging on at 357, has only really starting bagging up properly the last couple of days, but cant get a drop of anything out of her. Tail head slack, blood around edge of vulva, very fed up but still no baby !!
sad.gif

Back