genetics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
ok i have a mini foal that has luxation of the petella bone

ive heard it genetic..so does it come from one of the parents are does both mare and sire need to have

the genetic jean to get a foal with with it

does any one no,,, ive tryed google but not telling me anything

hoping some one can help me out

thanks jenny

I don't think they know for sure... There are varying degrees of it. In my mind it's like a cow hocked horse... Could get it from one parent or both, depending on their conformation.

You will find so many different opinions on this its just a matter of what you want to believe. I feel like genetics have a role of it, can they outgrow it sure. My one that I have you can hear it popping when he was real young, it didn't show up as a yearling, as a 2 year old and somewhat this year you could hear it popping. As he started driving he got stronger and you can't hear him popping. However I know there are several of his brothers and sisters that had the same problem so obviously genetics played a role and he was gelded.

Some will say nutrition will come into play, bad trimming, but I think you just can't rule genetics out. If he locks up then obviously its more serious. I had a filly who locked up as a yearling and continues to do so and I know her dam doesn't show any stifle issues and she drives and jumps and her sire jumps and drives, and I never considered her to have bad leg or hind end conformation but obviously she has a problem and I defintelly would never breed for that combo again.

I personally would geld the colt and not breed the parents to each other again, but thats just me.

You'll find a lot of people treat the subject of a genetic issue with a lot of caution. People care a lot about their stud name and so, unfortunatly, the end result is a bit of a tiptoe subject.

Yes petella issues can be genetic, in it's minor forms there are work arounds to assist the horse to soundness or the horse seems to outgrow the issue and so a horse carrying the problem goes on to breed it into the future lines.

default_saludando.gif
he seems to be getting around ok but i dont no how he will go as he gets older

but he will be gelded asap

got any advice Dr Taylor

Last edited by a moderator:
What is luxation of the patella bone? sorry if it's a dumb question...
"Patella" is the proper name for the kneecap. "Luxation of the Patella" is more commonly referred to as "Locking Stifles," since the horse's stifle joint is the same thing as the knee in a human.

IMO the condition itself isn't genetic, but the kind of conformation that makes the condition likely to occur seems to be. There is a certain amount of angle that you prefer to see in the joints of a horse's hind leg, anything straighter than that will predispose the horse to locking stifles. A horse can start locking up after an injury in that area; the cause of that isn't in any way "genetic." Some horses go through a growth phase where they lock for a while, and then outgrow it. Some horses lock when they are out of condition and stop doing it when they get exercised enough to keep the leg muscles in good condition. Keeping the hind toes trimmed short enough to encourage quick breakover in the stride has helped to keep others from locking, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been told by a vet that sometimes it can be genetic and sometimes not. Sometimes the bone are formed too deep or too shallow. Too deep can cause them to lock and too shallow can cause them to slip out and lock. Strengthening muscles and tendons can help, but sometimes surgeries are required.

Sometimes it is just because the muscles and or tendons are just weak and when they get stronger the problem will go away.

"Patella" is the proper name for the kneecap. "Luxation of the Patella" is more commonly referred to as "Locking Stifles," since the horse's stifle joint is the same thing as the knee in a human.

IMO the condition itself isn't genetic, but the kind of conformation that makes the condition likely to occur seems to be. There is a certain amount of angle that you prefer to see in the joints of a horse's hind leg, anything straighter than that will predispose the horse to locking stifles. A horse can start locking up after an injury in that area; the cause of that isn't in any way "genetic." Some horses go through a growth phase where they lock for a while, and then outgrow it. Some horses lock when they are out of condition and stop doing it when they get exercised enough to keep the leg muscles in good condition. Keeping the hind toes trimmed short enough to encourage quick breakover in the stride has helped to keep others from locking, too.
What a great explaination! Thank you.

Bunnylady--luxation of the patella is DISLOCATION of the patella--entirely a different thing from locking stifle, which is UPWARD FIXATION of the patella.

The conformation that leads to locking stifle is VERY hereditary. Your excuses are very typical of Miniature horse breeders, and go a long way in explaining why locking stifle is so common in Minis.

It's true that an injury can cause locking stifle--but in truth it's a very specific type of injury that is most likely to cause a problem with locking. And, if the stifle is actually injured it is going to be very obvious. If you don't see swelling and/or feel heat in the stifle, and if the horse isn't extremely lame/stiff/sore (not to be confused with simply "locked up") then chances are that no injury occurred. I have had two horses with injured stifles; both were perfectly obvious that the injury had occurred, and neither one ever locked up.

Congenital luxation of the patella is rare in horses with the exception of minis and shetlands. I suspect that there isn't a lot of "proof" of what causes the patellar groove to be too shallow (which is what causes the luxation in newborn foals)--people can guess at the degree of heredity in this condition, whether it is a combination of genes from both parents, or if it can come from only one parent, or if it is simply some sort of mutation...but I sure wouldn't not write it off as not genetic.

Bunnylady--luxation of the patella is DISLOCATION of the patella--entirely a different thing from locking stifle, which is UPWARD FIXATION of the patella.

The conformation that leads to locking stifle is VERY hereditary. Your excuses are very typical of Miniature horse breeders, and go a long way in explaining why locking stifle is so common in Minis.

It's true that an injury can cause locking stifle--but in truth it's a very specific type of injury that is most likely to cause a problem with locking. And, if the stifle is actually injured it is going to be very obvious. If you don't see swelling and/or feel heat in the stifle, and if the horse isn't extremely lame/stiff/sore (not to be confused with simply "locked up") then chances are that no injury occurred. I have had two horses with injured stifles; both were perfectly obvious that the injury had occurred, and neither one ever locked up.

Congenital luxation of the patella is rare in horses with the exception of minis and shetlands. I suspect that there isn't a lot of "proof" of what causes the patellar groove to be too shallow (which is what causes the luxation in newborn foals)--people can guess at the degree of heredity in this condition, whether it is a combination of genes from both parents, or if it can come from only one parent, or if it is simply some sort of mutation...but I sure wouldn't not write it off as not genetic.
Very well said minimor. Patella issues seem to be one of the darker sides to mini breeding, people don't want to admit it exists and when they do they tend to make excuses for it. It's one of the conditions I looked very hard to avoid when building my breeding herd. Sure you can work around the more minor cases of these issues, but why should you when instead you can breed somthing sound?

Latest posts

Back