genetics test Which do I test for?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
I already know my new stallion is homozygous for tobiano. I plan on testing him for LWO+, but I also want to test him to see if he is homozygous for black. Both his sire and dam are black pintos. I do not understand red factor or agouti. Which test do I use to test for homozygous for black?

Also... is there a test for splash gene and sabino gene? I would like to test him for those also. Can you advise this genetically challenged person? THANK YOU!!!

Robin

To see if he is homozygous for Black, test for Red factor. If he looks truely Black (sorry, I don't remember the pictures of him) I would not bother to test for Agouti as it always shows on Black. There is no test yet for Splash. I am anxiously awaiting one. The test for Sabino 1 only tests for that one form of Sabino. I usually don't bother to test for it as they can have another form of Sabino and test negative on the SB1 test.

IF he has blue eyes, it is highly likely that he has either Splash or LWO. However, it is possible to carry those patterns without blue eyes.

Latest posts

Back