genetics question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
Tell me if this is possible...cuz I'm thinking that the result cannot be homozygous, but I am not sure...

(I have heard that in order to be homozygous for the tobiano gene both parents must be tobiano.)

Sire is a frame overo and dam is a tobiano. Can the resulting foal be homozygous for any pinto pattern?

yankee_minis said:
Tell me if this is possible...cuz I'm thinking that the result cannot be homozygous, but I am not sure...  (I have heard that in order to be homozygous for the tobiano gene both parents must be tobiano.)

Sire is a frame overo and dam is a tobiano.  Can the resulting foal be homozygous for any pinto pattern?

417417[/snapback]

Not unless the Frame sire also has the tobiano gene. To be homozygous, they must get the gene from both parents.

To be homozygous for ANY pinto gene, do both parents have to have the same pattern?

yankee_minis said:
To be homozygous for ANY pinto gene, do both parents have to have the same pattern?
417577[/snapback]

if he did not have the tobiano gene then he could not pass it on and the foal needs a tobiano gene from both parents so if the sire dosent have the tobiano gene NO the foal can not be homozygous for tobiano!! To get homozygous for ANYTHING both parents must be what the foal is homozygous for!! Just like cremellos perlinos and smokey creams, both parents must have the cream gene!!

However, with Pinto it's a bit of a lottery!! Unless the animal is tested for a particular pattern it may not be obvious that it is that pattern. That is why it is always best to check for LWO before breeding to a LWO horse- that is one homozygous you do NOT want!! An animal might not present visually as Tobiano, yet be Tobiano, and thus could present you with a homozygous foal. Two Tobiano do not neccessarily make a homozygous foal, it is only that you have to have two Tobiano parents to have a chance of a homozygous foal. Confused yet???
smile.gif

Back