Genetics Committee Reseach

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epetrilli

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been very interested in some of the threads I have browsed the past week, especially those regarding the registry and gentics research done within the AMHA. My question to those of you who are familiar with this is, are there any reports or presentations from the Genetics Committee which are made available to AMHA members, or would one have to attend a meeting to hear about these topics? I have inquired directly to the committee via amha website but to date have not received a response.

I am very interested in getting more educated on the specifics of what has been done to progress the research in the area of dwarfism and how close they are to developing tests which will distinguish the variat types and carriers of the affected genes.

Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I do understand that the committee, especially John, has been working very hard on this topic and I would love to have more information.

Thank you! I look forward to everyones insight on this topic.

Erin

Welcome Erin!!! Glad you could join us.

I dont know anything on the research but Im sure John Eberth will comment as hes very knowledgeable about this subject.

Erin,

Glad to have you here. This is John Eberth. Let me catch you and any others new that might want to know what is going on. I recieved your email to my arionmgmt email account 5 days ago, I have been quite busy recently with a few things so I am sorry I have not responded yet to your pointed questions with regards to my research. Your questions with regards to post-transcriptional mRNA competency and/or usage of the protein of the gene responsible for this disease is not something I will discuss here. Also, I have used the Snip Chip technology. I will be emailing you privately with regards to that. Needless to say I have used it and have had success with it.

1. I am the Chairman of the AMHA Genetics Committee. I only get emails from the AMHA office if they forward them to me. If you emailed thru the AMHA website it DOES NOT go directly to me. So that is why you have had no response, only if they want to will they forward to me.

2. I give information to the Association by and thru my committee when we have our regular board and convention meetings. It is the easiest way to inform those that are responsible for the decisions that need to be made with regards to our association.

3. I am the one doing the research at Gluck and as far as I know I am the only one that is doing this work in the world with the large number of samples needed for accurate and sound research. I have be working on this since 1993.

4. The little bit of info that is on the AMHA website has not been updated and is limited for numerous reseaons of which I will not go into here either.

5. I have developed tests for 2 of the 4 types that I have characterized. I am finalizing my population work to confirm my findings are indeed specific to the Miniatures, and not in other large horse breed gene pools. I still am accepting samples of all the types and need specifically type 4 (lethal) samples or producers.

I will be happy to discuss any pointed questions with regards to my lab work privately since you are in the equine genetics field and understand discussing ongoing research.

Regards,

John Eberth

Thank you John for your response. Please let me clarify that I by no means intended for you to feel I wanted you to post any detailed or pointed research information. I had read a few posts earlier that referenced presentations and information that had been given and I was simply wondering if/where I could access those. I sincerely respect and fully understand the parameters involved with intellectual scientific properties and know the reasons these things can not be discussed openly during an ongoing study. I had requested information from AMHA in the past, prior to my PM to you, and not ever had any response which is why I wondered if my messages ever got through.

I, as I am sure are others, am very intriqued by the research you have done and appreciate the time and efforts you have put into your investigation. Please accept my sincerest appologies if I have offended you or misinterpreted my intentions, I honestly was simply looking for information that had already been made available or was "public" so to speak within the association. I do appreciate your time in explaining these points to me and hope that someday in the future we may have the opportunity to discuss what you can privately and I can share with you some possible resources that may be of benefit.

Again thank you! I am sure many others join me in saying we appreciate your efforts in this unique field of study (I so much so it made me a bit anxious to learn more
default_wink.png
).

Kind Regards,

Erin

Latest posts

Back