Genetic Test Results Are In Perlino vs Smoky Cream

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish Hills Farm

Irish Hills Farm
Reaction score
I have had several people ask me how do you know for sure that Lil Erica is a perlino.

Well, okay, I don't know for sure that she is but figure the odds were in her favor of being a perlino since both parents are buckskins. (Ok, sire is actually a buckskin pinto.)

And I will admit when she was first born I thought Smoky Cream because she was so dark in color but after some time went by her coloring did lighten up, so to speak, and I changed my mind and went with Perlino.

I finally gave in and decided to have her tested.

Here are a few pictures of Lil Erica. I think within hours of being born.

erica.jpg

Notice how dark she seems.

color.jpg

And at 6 days old.

msmich.jpg

Sire - Little Kings B T Buck Bandito - yes I have permission to post photo.

Image1-4.jpg

Dam - Little Kings Heir To Glory

glory0916-1.jpg

So, what do you think the test results revealed?

She is so nice, Sheryl!!! Gotta love those Bandito double dilute girls
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to say Smoky Cream, just because I had a stud that was papered Cremello and when I tested him found out he was Smoky Cream, and I really could not visually tell any difference as I have cremello mares.
default_wink.png

Color wise she looks a lot like a double dilute pinto filly I had born this year out of a smoky black mare and sired by a palomino pinto. I too wondered if she were smoky cream or perlino. I had her tested for agouti and it came back positive, so she is perlino.

dream3-30rigt.jpg

Pictured a few hours old.

I'm guessing your girl is a perlino too.

I am guessing smokey cream too, only because in her old photo she looks to have darkened up in her skin color, otherwise I would say perlino too, but she has such a dark undertone to her cream colored hair and most the perlinos I have seen are lighter colored than she is....hmmmm

Do tell, we are waiting....
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

I'm guessing smokey cream also
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
Very pretty little girl
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
She looks much darker than that double dilute perlino filly in the other pic and her nose looks too dark!

So?
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
What is the verdict?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys. I was loading the truck and trailer for the show. All I have left to do is pack my stuff and the horses.

Anyway, here are the test results...............(Drum Roll Please)'

1336 Timberlane Road

Tallahassee, FL 32312

Test Results

Name: Sheryl Stewart

Business: Irish Hills Farm

Email: [email protected]

Date Received: 6/9/2008

Horse Name Breed Agouti

Irish Hills Miss Michigan Miniature Horse Aa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Result Guide:

Agouti

aa Only recessive allele detected. Black pigment distributed uniformly. The basic color of the horse will be black in the absence of other modifying genes.

Aa Horse tested Heterozygous for Agouti. Black pigment distributed in point pattern. The basic color of the horse will be bay or brown in the absence of other modifying genes.

AA Only dominant allele detected. Black pigment distributed in point pattern. The basic color of the horse will be bay or brown in the absence of other modifying genes.

Lil Erica is a PERLINO !
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back