Geldings ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*minis*

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm just trying to write an article about geldings, something to promote geldings a little more. I'm having a hard time though finding the starting point, so I thought maybe you want to give me some input?!

What do you like about your geldings? What makes them preferable over mares/stallions? If you gelded a stallion, what was the reason? Is it always just because they're not "good enough" to be a stallion, or did you ever have one gelded deliberately to win a great show gelding? etc. etc.

I would appreciate any of your thoughts on this. Thanks so much.

Carina

If you have a good Stallion, he will make a GREAT gelding!! If you do not intend to breed- what is the point of keeping an animal entire?? Geldings can be shown by children- stallions cannot. Geldings concentrate on the job in hand whilst stallions are usually out for the main chance!! It is possible to get a stallion focused but it is twice the work and, if the intention is not to breed anyway, there is no point to all the extra effort. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my stallions and I love the foals they produce. In his 26 years of life, my old boy Rabbit, has produced FIVE colts ( Six if you count this years foals)that I have considered suitable and of a quality to be stallions themselves- and Rabbit has bred a minimum of six mares a year since he was two years old!!! Basically there are just far, far too many colts out there. If we are to stop colt foals being seen as a "waste product" we need desperately to be gelding really good colts. Incentives are being offered, it is true, but even more could be done. What about free registration for gelding foals. Free upgrades to permanent for animals that are gelded. One time entry only- free classes with good prizes, for geldings?? We should be celebrating our geldings, and we still are not doing enough of it!! There are some truly awe inspiring geldings on this Forum, I hope people will come forward and show them to you.

I love geldings!!!

TOO many mini people get into breeding and feel like you are devaluing a stallion if you choose to geld him. In the past 12 months, I have had 3 horses gelded, including two who were my former, and successful, show stallions. Additionally, I have purchased a gelding and I am seriously considering purchasing an additional big name bred and gorgeous colt that WILL be gelded.

Geldings usually are easier to enjoy and have fun with than mares or stallions. You do not need to worry about hormones getting in the way of their performance.

One thing I did not enjoy about showing my former stallions was that at the shows, I couldn't hardly stand with other show people outside of the ring because if they had a stallion, then our horses would try to fight and if they had a mare, well... go figure.

If a person wants to "just" have fun and use their horse to enjoy at home or at shows with less technical difficulty, a gelding is a great way to go. These days, to geld a stallion is not a reflection of the horse's quality, but a way to be able to more easily enjoy the horse (and, btw, my former stallions were very, very well behaved and well trained as stallions). And, to do well in the ring, you need a stallion quality gelding.

The only thing a gelding cannot do is make a foal.

Awww, thanks that's so great. Exactly what I was looking for. We just recently purchased a gelding for us and since then I have been busy admiring this boy. To be honest, I'd thought they'd lose some of their power and presence when gelded, but that doesn't seem to be the case in minis.

Thanks for your efforts. I really enjoyed reading your posts!
smile.gif

Geldings have a more even temperament, and you don't have to worry about hormones kicking in! They are always the same, no coming in season, and no screaming at the girls! They are more reliable for kids, and a joy to be around! I love my boys too, but I love the ones "without" all the equipment!

Unless we plan to use a horse for breeding, it is gelded. Simple as that. It isn't a question of quality, three geldings raised by us have gone on to be Supreme Halter Horses. We have many geldings and they are shown to promote their sires, dams and siblings who are back home busy making more just like them. Well, that and we just enjoy showing them!

It was mentioned recently that horses don't have long show careers ... another advantage of geldings, there isn't the feeling that they should be retired to a breeding career, and you can take the time in training them and show them for as long as you'd like. Chief, a gelding we raised who has been shown by the Locke family for many years now, is still going strong at 21 years of age, and won Grand Champion Senior Gelding at our last show! He's been shown every year of his life but one, and he just keeps getting better!

I absolutely adore my geldings
wub.gif
. There are the most even keeled animals we have. Those are just my thoughts. Good Luck.

I had a beautiful blue eyed sorrel colt born this spring, and my first thoughts were of what a gorgeous show gelding he'd make! Yes, he's possibly "stallion quality," but I really want a gelding to show and then later sell into possibly a youth or amateur home. This little guy will be a good one, I think!

Coming from a Quarter Horse background, I was really surprised when I first got into Miniatures at how many colts are left stallions. Quarter Horse geldings are the bread and butter of the industry, and good ones often bring higher prices than either mares or stallions.

I agree that it can sometimes be a monetary loss to geld a colt - too many people want to get into breeding and don't have the money or the desire to buy a really good stallion. IMO, we as breeders need to promote geldings in any way we can. This means gelding more of the colts, and encouraging the associations to offer even more incentives.

Hats off to geldings!

Latest posts

Back