Gelding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trooper529

Reaction score
Hello. I'm an 81 year old newbie to miniatures. A good deal of experience over the years with draft horses, police horses and "regular" saddle horses. Time to give up riding but not horses per se. I recently purchased a nice 3 yr. old 31" gelding with the goal of making up and training a driving team. In searching for the "other half" of my team it seems that quite a few of the potentials are stallions. I don't intend on getting into breeding. What's the thoughts on gelding a prospect that might be older (5-6 and up) and that might have bred some mares in the past? I know a lot depends on the individual, but in general????

If all you are going to have are two geldings, one of them being a late gelding stands a good chance of working, as long as all the testosterone is out of his system before you ask them to work, or live together, and there are no mares. But each horse is different. I did have two "regular" breeding stallions/late geldings that didn't like each other, but there were mares around.

I'd say it completely depends on the individual. I have a 17yr old gelding who was a breeding stallion until last year. He is out in a mixed herd, plays with the boys and leaves the girls alone.

I didn't geld one of my boys til 8 years old, he was sweet as a stallion and sweet as a gelding. He's the babysitter in the gelding pen (colts go there while waiting to be gelded, and for the most part they all get along, but my gelding are separated from my mares to help ensure that). If you have no mares around, there is a very good chance that two boys will get along, regardless of when either was gelded. [Well, as much as an individuals will get along, there will always be some that don't get along. They are all individuals, and like to pick their friends.]

I have had several who where gelded late, one age 5-7, one 10, one 12. The one gelded at 5-7 remained somewhat "alpha" but I do believe that this is just his personality, gelded or not. He is dominant enough that he needs separate turnout. I believe he had covered mares.
The one gelded at 10 is a peach around geldings and mares but if there is another stallion around he will get a little "high" but gets over himself quickly with a reminder to watch himself. He was not used for breeding.
The mini gelded the latest is also good around mares and geldings but retains that little extra "something special" attitude that stallions can have. He also had been used for breeding.
Knowing them, I would say the "alpha" mini could possibly be hitched tandem with an experienced driver (and he probably has been) but I would NOT try it myself because it's beyond my abilities. The other two I think would be fine with it. All three are years out from being gelded so the hormones are gone (but not forgotten!). I think instituting good boundaries and manners goes far in what you can accomplish with them, gelded or not.

81!! and just retired from riding, thats awesome!! 🥰 I’m only 44 and have retired from riding too 😅 These little horses have stolen my heart and are just so darn cute!! And a whole lot easier to handle, manage, and maintain.

I know this isn’t helpful…. But…. I ♥ Geldings!!!

We need pics of your new baby.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back