Gelding too young??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
Does gelding a colt at too young of an age cause development issues? Such as muscle development?
default_wacko.png

Not that I've ever heard; of course, ANY horse should be in excellent health and condition before undergoing such a surgical procedure!

There is actually some evidence (at least, anecdotally; don't know if anyone's ever actually gathered any statistics)to indicate that early gelding *may* result in larger adult size.

Margo

The idea is that removing the testicles frees up a lot of energy... it takes a LOT of energy and supplies to grow and develope the sexual organs.

I've heard and read both ideas... that gelding early, late, or leaving them intact all result in higher risks of one or another disorder/disease... which do you end up believing?

Jet was gelded pretty young (4-5 months i think) doesnt seem to have hurt him a bit
default_smile.png

I gelded my colt last year when he was about 7 months old- no problems. So did the neighbors geld the ones that were ready and dropped. I have also heard that gelding earlier *may* make them grow a tiny bit taller, but do you ever prove that?!! In regards to gelding them young, they will never develope the stallion tendancies and attitude- and many seem to avoid getting that 'thickness' that some stallions develope also- the neck, jaws, etc....

Latest posts

Back