Gelding side effects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indian*R*A*I*N*Dance

Reaction score
Rain is getting gelded soon, he's about 1yr and 2 months and i was just wondering what side effects there are besides swelling. Also, what should we do when he comes home, how long and how often does he need to be walked?

Edit: He needs to get surgery to remove them. so far we only know that one has come down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never dealt with one who had to have surgery. Hope someone has had experience here.
default_smile.png
I know normally, they should be trotted for 10 or so minutes daily to help with swelling. But I found, the cooler outside, the less the swelling gets.

I just had one of mine gelded and vet said to keep him inside and quiet first 24 hrs and the nx day let him be out in the pasture as normal. He was in a pasture nx to the others for 5 days without any problems. We stall at nite of course. The vet was 40 miles away...did the deed at the vets and as soon as he was able to stand back home we came. He is doing great and already easier to work with.
default_wub.png

It does depend on your vets instructions. I've had two boys done in the past 3 months. Both were done at my home and I did not have to do anything at all with either of them. I sat out with them for the first hour after they came out of the anesthesia to make sure they were very steady on their feet. Neither had swelling and very little bleeding (a few drops). My vet does a great job with gelding. He just asked me to watch them for the first couple of days for swelling. Good luck

I would suggest shopping around for a vet that is good at "finding" the missing parts, then it can be an ordinary gelding procedure. Here we have a very good vet that is able to geld many colts (ordinary gelding procedure) that other vets won't attempt--the other vets will tell the owners to take the horses to a clinic that does the crypt surgery.

So, I haven't had to have surgery done on any of our geldings. i do have a friend that had a big horse operated on; that particular horse actually healed up just as quickly as any horse done the "easy" way.

After care for your colt will very much depend--on the surgery itself and on your vet. As Nathan said, different vets have different recommendations, and of course if your colt's missing part is just inside the ring the surgery will be much easier than if the vet has to go up into the abdomen to find it (hopefully not!)

What is a high-flanker? Is that what is meant by just inside the ring?

Rita

Thanks! we have already had 3 vets try to find the other one and no luck. He has really bad behavior right now and i am the only one in the family that can go in and work with him, or atleast go in with out him lunging at anyone. Hopefully the vet will call us back today telling us when he can do it.

I'm not sure just how others mean it when the say a high flanker, but to me a high flanker is one that is just above the ring, but not way up in the abdomen. Actually, if the missing part is just inside the ring, as in inside the ring, not above it, the vet I use now can still get it out the usual way.

Our vet can't necessarily "find" a missing one just by palpating. The 2 year old we had done a year ago had one obvious & one missing. The vet said he'd give it a try, so he put the colt out & opening him up & reached in & searched around, and sure enough found it right up inside the ring. That is my kind of vet! Cost me $70 as opposed to the $200-$300 it would have cost otherwise, and I don't know of any other vet in this area that would have got the job done. The others would have all told me to take the colt for crypt surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back