gelding prices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

littlehorse2

I've noticed that almost everyone dicounts their colt if your going to geld them. I had to pay more because I was getting our colt gelded. Is this common or was I taken for a ride. Remember this is the same guy I bought our filly from also. He says he does package deals on 2 or more, well I paid $1800 for my 2 together.

Christy

littlehorse2 said:
I've noticed that almost everyone dicounts their colt if your going to geld them.  I had to pay more because I was getting our colt gelded.  Is this common or was I taken for a ride.  Remember this is the same guy I bought our filly from also.  He says he does package deals on 2 or more, well I paid $1800 for my 2 together.Christy

438540[/snapback]

I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong, but... I think one of the reasons that people offer a discount if you are going to geld a colt is to offset the gelding fee. And, also as an incentive for gelding.

$1800 sounds like a pretty fair price for 2 minis. I realize price is subject to area, pedigrees and such, but I still think the price you paid for two seems reasonable.

As far as paying more for your guy... Did you have to pay for the gelding proceedure? Or did the seller take care of it before you brought him home? If the seller took care of it, then he was likely covering costs. If you had to pay a higher price plus pay the gelding fee, that doesn't seem too fair to me.

He said hia price was $500, we told him we wanted him gelded beacuse I didn't want a stallion for my kids first horse. He said that was fine, but his price would them be $800. That's why I was wondering.

Thanks,

Christy

Geldings are usually cheaper

I paid $1300 for my filly, because seller needed her gone buy winter... & that was a good deal

Colts usually go for $1000 around here & fillies anywhere from $1300 to 3000

But I live in Canada... prices change from area to area

Good luck
yes.gif
wub.gif

He said his price was $500, we told him we wanted him gelded because I didn't want a stallion for my kids first horse. He said that was fine, but his price would them be $800.
So, the horse was gelded when you bought him and took him home? If so, then yes, the extra money went into the procedure and post-op care. There would also be the chance that something could go wrong, and the horse die...leaving the seller with no horse...or money.

Now, if the seller didn't have the gelding done...and you took home a stallion that still needed gelding, THEN, I can't understand the extra charge at all.

I do an agreement when I sell my non gelded colts. If you keep him as a stallion you buy him for this price. If you have him gelded and he does not sire any foals I will sell him for one thousand dollars less. I allow payment plans and will hold the papers. As soon as all payment are met and your choice is made to geld or not to geld I send papers.

If you keep the colt as a stallion you have my breeding program. I have a lot of time and money invested. You geld the colt and I have someone showing what a great show horse, friend or pet they have. And I hope someone that thinks well of my horses and my self out letting people know how great I treated them. I feel this way both the buyer and I are in a win win situation.
aktion033.gif
Hope this helped and I made myself clear.
yes.gif
Sometimes I feel that I just confuse things.
rolleyes.gif
Toyhorse

Back