Gelding our boys and going out of breeding....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
I don't get on here much anymore but thought I would let you know our latest plans. We have decided to stop breeding. Well we didn't breed any mares last year either, and I have to say I do not miss the sleepless nights and the worry and stress. I am actually pretty excited about gelding Buckshot and Jake and having them available for the 4-Hers. No, we are definitely NOT getting out of minis!!! Buckshot already has his Open Pinto Championship and is green broke to drive and we think both boys will make superb therapy minis and 4-H projects. But I plan to show Jake in AMHA AOTE classes this year so the 4-Hers have to wait awhile for him. This year we are using 8 of the minis for the 4-Hers so they have plenty for now. Plus Clyde and Bunny are starting driving training and not counted in the 8.

For those wondering about Rusty, he is just about 100%, except that his mane and foretop that we cut off the night of the attack are still growing back. We started jumping last week and he seemed very happy to show off his great form. His appointment book already includes an Open Show, a Memorial Day parade, and a trip to a hospital in Hartford to deliver a donation from the Little Hooves 4-H Club calendar sales. I hope we can keep up with his busy schedule!

Wishing everyone who is breeding a safe and successful foaling season.

Mary

I know the relief you feel when not having to foal out mares any more.My last foals were born in 2007 after breeding since 1989.I so miss the babies but not the stress.I also gelded my stallions and found a good home for the breeding age guy.I gave away several very nice horses to great homes and get to see them in the show ring with my friends.Breeding was fun and I met some really nice people along the way, but I don't regret my decision.Enjoy your Minis-sounds like you have lots of fun activities with them.

Enjoy your horses and your 4-H club! So glad Rusty is doing well. I've followed him on FB, too.

We have 60 members in our miniature horse 4-H club this year - 36 are 9 to 19 year olds and 24 are 5 to 8 year olds (Clover Buds) - yikes! But we love it! They are wonderful kids and we have several very helpful parents / grandparents. I'm sure you'll find your club continues to grow over the years!

If you ever want to share info or would like to pick my brain about anything miniature horse 4-H related, please feel free to reach out.

See our 4-H members on our club's webpage: Mini Whinnies 4-H Club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention all the heartache you had
default_sad.png

Upward & onward to a bright beginning! I'm SO happy to hear Rusty healed up so well
default_yes.gif

LB isn't just for breeders, so I hope you won't be a stranger Mary!

Wishing you the best on your new venture. The relief of the stress can now be focused on other avenues. Thanks for the update on Rusty!

Good luck with this "new" route with your minis. I am sure the 4 H'ers will have a blast

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

I admire you, Mary, and wish you all the best in this slightly new direction. I love seeing and hearing about all of the fun things you do with your horses!

I totally understand where you are coming from Mary and I wish you all the best.
default_smile.png

Sounds like you've made the decision that makes you happy

showing is so much fun and add some kids to the mix and it's wonderful

one really good thing no more marestare and sleepless nights

I totally understand not missing the sleepless, scared to sleep for fear of the unknown foaling time.. Ziggi was our last foal 5 yrs ago I think? Good Luck in your new journey!

Thank you all for the "likes" and kind words. As I said, we are not getting out of miniatures at all, so will continue with the 4-H Club (which is one of the best things we ever did), showing, and therapy work. I would love to get into in-hand dressage, horse agility and start a 4-H drill team. So many plans. I would love to start a crusade to show the rest of the horse world all the great things you can do with minis even though "you can't ride them".

Mary,

I read this with mixed emotions. I'm happy for you and you definitely sound happy but you are exactly the kind of breeder who is a credit to miniature horses so your babies will be missed.

I'm looking forward to hearing about all your adventures. I'm really thrilled Rusty is doing well.

Hope you'll join us from time to time on MareStare. We'll miss having you over there.

Latest posts

Back