Gelding my "son" and getting out

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy

Reaction score
Well, I have decided to geld my 2 yr old that I bottle raised from a 2 week old. He is so bad with the nipping, nudging and just plain disrespectful. I know this won't cure all the ills, but it might help. I have also decided, with mixed emotions to "get out" of the mini business. Unfortunately, I pretty much just got in! It has taken a toll on me both physically and in my marriage. I am gong to keep my "brat" and probably 2 mares to love and show around here, but that is it. Heck I just spent $1500 getting my equipage and cameras this year. I have way too many stresses in my life right now and not enough room to keep all the big guys and the little guys separate. Things weren't so bad till I jumped in and bought 3 additional mares this spring. I don't know how some of you do it with as many as you have. I have 4 full size horses and my daughter just won an AQHA colt (Dash for Cash bloodlines), and in the minis one stallion, one soon to be gelding, two colts, and seven mares. YIKES! That and a more than full time job! My hubby is not a horse person and he is tired of never getting to take a vacation and just the fact that I spend just about all my spare time at the barn. Just wanted to vent a little. This is so frustrating for me.

It's quite difficult when your "other half" isn't horse inclined. But, sounds like your daughter is
aktion033.gif
Horses are better than many things your kids could be involved with -- you too!
yes.gif
Wish you well!

Dandy,

You hit the nail on the head with your priorities....Kuddos for that. When the spouse isn't a part of your passion for horses, it makes it tough. But keeping your "foot in the door" with keeping a few horses for your daughter makes sense......

Having that horse-hobby is probably one of the best things that people can do for their children, especially if the child has an interest.

I applaud you for being able to establish where to draw the line with your obvious love of the horses. It's a hard call.......

Blessings!

MA

Hey Dandy! I hear you loud and clear. When I left my fully loaded 21 stall barn in Florida I came up here with just my own 3 horses and 1 pony. I felt like a gigantic weight had just been lifted off my shoulders. I was worn out and burned out and I sure needed a break from it all.

Sometimes I look around here and see all these minis flying around and ask myself "how on earth did this happen?" I swear they just seem to multiply so easily.

It sure doesn't help when you are reading the forum and seems like someone has made another purchase every day! And how about surfing the websites and gooing at their sales page ? And oh, that sales board is quite the catch for some great deals too. It's so hard to just have to pass.

But I'm with you 100%.

I know I'd never manage a big herd and I know my limits well.

My horses are on what I guess you would call "high maintenece." And I'm not going to lower my standards of care just so I can get out there and multiply them in leaps and bounds and end up giving 50% of me when I can give 100%.

I'd rather have a few that can have the best of me than a lot that would be begrudged my full attention.

You are right Marty. Even though I have made the decision, now comes the hard part. Who goes and how do I get them to the right homes. I've been trying to do this "business" for 4 years and haven't sold a thing. From my first year of both foals not getting out of the sack to my 2nd year of the mother of my colt dying and leaving me a 2 week old "son" to raise to this year only getting colts. Everyone I look at to sell, I stop and find some reason I want to keep that one. I also can't stay off the sale pages or visiting the "web sites". I guess if I could afford to hire someone to do the heavy work....but then I wouldn't enjoy it if someone else did all the work.

My "son" was gelded this morning. Hopefully, this will make him a better horse. Will just have to wait and see.

Dandy since you cannot choose who goes, I would put them all up for sale and then see who bites on who and take it from there.

Latest posts

Back