gelding incision????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
Ok, I'm losing my mind. I have a call in to the vet and am waiting to hear back from him. My little guy was gelded a little over two weeks ago. I posted about his bleeding excessively. That has been under control for many days now. I thought he was back to healing beautifully and the right incision looks great. The one on the left side, for lack of a better description has looked like an eyeball with the edges of the incision being the eye lid and I'm not sure what (but its pink) being the eyeball.

Doc has been out of town. I've been watching it and just figured I'd have him come and take a look at it tomorrow. Well, now whatever that pink flesh is it is now protruding thru the incision and it is scaring me to death as I cannot fathom what it is.

I don't believe it is intestines as he is still able to defacate and urinate with no trouble. What else could it be? I'm torn between calling an emergency after hours vet or waiting it out until morning. I'm debating on whether or not I should glove up and push it back in. I do know that internal "things" tend to swell when outside of the body. He is on SMZ's but is that strong enough to protect him with internal stuff now on the outside.

I jsut don't know kwhat the heck I'm dealing with here.

Call the emergency vet. Two weeks is way too long to have an open incision like that. Plus, bacteria can run right up that tissue into his body. This isn't (IMHO) something that should wait.

Lucy

I know someone who had a saddle horse gelded ths past summer and he had the same thing. The people called me in a bit of a panic and I really had never heard of such a thing. They called the vet (which I advise you to do as well, better safe than sorry and we can only guess at it over the internet)but it turns out this is NOT all that unusual and will still heal up just fine. The vet advised them to continue towash him down with warm water and a gentle disinfectant daily (they actually did it 2x daily for awhile) and it cleared up just fine. They were riding him this summer. Hope that helps a bit.

Speaking from my own experience (I am not a vet, don't proclaim to be)

When I gelded my "Beastie" back in the day, he didn't have the easiest time of it. Large wound and he was so hyper he kept jostling things, so lots of bleeding and swelling. General mess. The whole "light exercise" thing with a 2yo hyper stallion in spring did not compute with him.

Couple of days he I see he had a blob of well... I dunno, SOMETHING, hanging out, much like you describe. He had been difficult to geld (could feel both but when he was over and sedated, one went into hiding and we had to really fish for it) and had a rather large wound, so I was really worried. Called vet right away. I was thinking exactly what you were thinking.

Vet comes out, pokes around, looks at the blob and everything. Says the blob was fat that had slipped down through the opening from all Beast's antics. Scared the absolute bejesus out of us (and it was gross)

Treatment was destin (the diaper rash goo) to keep it dry and encourage it to shrivel up, and to put Beast on strict stall rest until the fat retreated/fell off and if necessary, sedate him so he'd stop tearing himself up.

It was about 3 or 4 weeks before he healed up entirely.

If I were you, I'd call the emergency vet anyway. I've never been a fan of things just hanging out of holes on my horses. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nathan, I will post a picture. Mind you he is only 25" tall so getting a picture won't be easy. I did talk to Doc. He's actually not too concerned. He thinks he'll be fine and will be here on Tuesday to take a look at it. Now, if something changes then I need to call him, which I would do anyways.

He has been on rest. We have a really small paddock for daytime next to his buddies. He's bright eyed and very happy and healthy looking and eating like a little piggy. I just get a little hyperpsychotic about my babies. I don't like things hanging out of my horses either. Very bothersome. (more me than him actually).

Even when a problem arises that I know exactly how to handle , I still will stand there and second guess myself imagining the very worst scenario the whole time.

Doc was very reassuring though and I do trust him.

Thankyou to all who responded. Nathan be patient and I will attempt a nonblurry photo. He is getting a bit sick of me checking him.

First I'm assuming it was a "normal" gelding and not a cryptorchid, so the chances it's intestines are pretty slim. I had a gelding(actually was a cryptorchid surgery) who had what you describe happen. I was checking his incisions and noticed what looked like "visceral" tissue coming out the "normal" incision. I called the vet and they said it was probably fat but I'm an RN and I said "nope, not fat....looks shiny like intestines. So I brought him in and the vet agreed it looked visceral(which is what intestines look like) but that the chances of him herniating through the normal side of his surgery site were slim. After she sedated and examined him she determined that the lining of his scrotal sac had prolapsed out the incision site. She pushed it back in place and it never came out again and healed just fine. Hopefully this is what is going on with your guy and he will be fine also! I wouldn't take chances though.....let your vet examine him!

Sounds like fat, but I did have a walking horse client whose horse did drop intestines through the incision so don't wait to have him looked at.

Have seen tissue like that before... vet was not worried about it. But, always good to have a VET actually LOOK at it since obviously none of us can be there in person...

Hope everything is all right, I'm pretty sure it will be though!

Andrea

I am so sorry. I got busy and forgot to update. The vet came out Wednesday and looked it over and it is proud flesh. I was a little shocked as it looks like nothing I have seen on leg wounds. I have some stuff that should take care of it and hopefully in about two weeks it will be gone.

Otherwise he is fine and is so happy to be back with his buddies. I'm relieved that is all it is.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back