Gelding Contracts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knighthawke

Reaction score
Hello,

I am selling my colts this year with a lower price if they will be gelded. Does anyone have a gelding contract or have they delt with one.

Any input would be great.

I have alot of 4H kids that are interested in the colts for project animals so I know they will be gelded but would like a contract for the people to sign.

Barb

Remember that gelding contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on... once you relenquish ownership the new owner can do whatever they please, and if that involves leaving him intact, you can't say boo about it. They are 100% unenforcable, and unethical in my opinion. Rather than charging less for a stallion with contract, why don't you just geld them yourself and sell the gelding for the contract price plus the cost of the castration?

One thing you could do, if these will be show geldings that need papers, is to withhold papers until they have a gelding certificate signed by the vet
default_yes.gif
OR have them gelded at your farm, then you know it's done
default_smile.png

For many years, I've had the gelding done here, first. Then there's NEVER any problem about 'contracts'....

Margo

I use a contract here.

They do not get the registration papers unless I see that the horse has been gelded.

Or, like Margo said, I have had request and had them gelded here.

Thanks for the input.

On gelding before they leave. The vet in the area I am in will not geld until they are older like around 10 mon to 1 year. and these will be leaving as foals around 3 months.

I have thought about holding the papers, I think that is what I will do.

I thought about putting on the reg app. Gelding or Must be gelded. That way they would not be able to register it until it was gelded and could not register any off spring?

Barb

I have handled this a little differently. I charge the buyer the full stallion price and if they bring me proof of gelding I rebate them a percentage of the purchase price. That way if they do not geld I have no need to try and enforce it but they have the incentive to do so. I would also geld myself if I was determined that an individual should never be left intact.

Nothing leaves my farm ungelded if I wish it to be gelded. Period. Is there another vet in your area?

Non that could do a farm visit I would be looking at about a 2 to 2 1/2 trip to a horse vet that will do miniatures.

Barb

I was talking with a friend about a colt she sold. He was supposed to be gelded. She did sell him with out papers. I made the comment that I would sell a colt with the papers on a gelding contract. Meaning that the papers would be held until they show me the colt was in fact gelded. That way, if they want to show in breed shows they could once they did as they said.

What if they don't care about showing, like me? What if they believe that anything with testicles should breed, who cares if they are "show quality" or not? Pintos and "WC" minis can get papers regardless, and so can hardshipped horses.

I did a gelding contract with no problems whatsoever.

I held the papers and they gelded the horse within 30 days of the sale.

It went very well.

If you held them until they are 4mos old (vs. selling at 3mos old), could your vet geld them at your farm at four months old?

Just yesterday, I heard from my vet that he didn't want to wean my Ducky when he's out on the 29th to geld my Buckeroo grandson, Blue, but that he would geld Ducky at 4mos if I want. He's been down / dropped since birth and will be ready
default_biggrin.png

This is a bit OT but my vet has suggested it is easier on the colts to be gelded while they are still with Mom. By the time they are weaned they are already healed and good to go.
default_smile.png

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming
default_wink.png

I have handled this a little differently. I charge the buyer the full stallion price and if they bring me proof of gelding I rebate them a percentage of the purchase price. That way if they do not geld I have no need to try and enforce it but they have the incentive to do so. I would also geld myself if I was determined that an individual should never be left intact.
I think this is a good idea; especially, if you can't or don't want to geld before they leave your farm.

Latest posts

Back