Gelding by the signs --- Almanac dates??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bess Kelly

Reaction score
Anyone with an almanac, please look this up for me and respond........need to have a party!
default_laugh.png

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! Need to call vet for apptmt...asap....before bad weather.

Hello Bess,

I looked up the almanac on line and found the dates for December. They are Dec. 2, 3, 30, and 31.

Happy gelding

Wanalynn

Here is from my Amanac book
default_smile.png

Gelding is the same as weaning. When "the blood is in the feet" and the dates are.

Dec. 4-6 (the 5th is best)

Dec. 4- Legs

Dec. 5- Feet

Dec. 6- Feet

And Jan. 1st and 2nd is the dates after that.

Dec. 31- Legs

Jan. 1- Feet

Jan. 2- Feet

Hope that helps
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks......Geesh, it's gonna be a "real weekend" 2 weaning and 3 gelding -- if vet can make it out.

default_wacko.png
I'm not sure that I'm ready for this one.
default_laugh.png
Better email the Vet -- so I don't forget in AM.

I have been using the Old Farmer's Almanac to find my dates for gelding and weaning. I use the same for both. I wait till the sign is below the secrets (Scorpio) and in the thighs (Sagittarius), knees (Capricorn), legs (Aquarius) and the feet (Pisces). I try to not wait till the last day when I can.

Doing it my way, here are the dates I would geld. Dec 1 thru Dec 5 or 6 --- Dec 24 thru Jan 1 or 2 --- Jan 20 thru Jan 28 or 29.

I have had great luck doing it this way and was better able to schedule the vet because I gave him more days. (I usually didn't give him the last two days as options so if he pushed me a day past my request, I still got in the timeframe) We have had probably an average of 3 or more most years and have had no major problems to date. I also have had great luck with weaning these days. Not much fussing, mares dry up nicely and foals eat and drink well.

Good luck

Angie

Oh Goodness, thank you for the info. I am so glad you asked, Bess. I have a little guy to geld also. Maybe two.
default_wub.png

I use the Old Farmers Almanac and I will contest to it. I have never had any problems with weaning or surgery going by the signs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back