Gelding an older horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
I still haven't quite decided what to do with Thunder, but if he stays here, he needs to be gelded. I've never had an older horse gelded and I'm curious if anyone has and noticed personality changes? Also if he is more likely to have a problem with his weight? He was very overweight when he came here, but he has lost quite a bit just being on a dry lot. I don't want to have to get into weighing his hay or anything just because if I did I would have to keep him separate anyway. And if I was going to do that I could save myself $700-$1000. I got 2 prices from 2 different vets and it really is that much now. I guess I should share a picture of him too, since I haven't.

Attachments

• thunder202.jpg
    thunder202.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 12
He is a handsome boy! How old is he?

I have several geldings who were gelded when they were older, when they were between 6-8, and one who was gelded before he was a yearling. The only difference is that the older geldings are still territorial about mares and want to challenge stallions. They tolerate each other, but I do not turn them out together as they will start roughhousing/play fighting, especially if there are mares around. I can turn them out with mares, but then they tend to become territorial. The younger gelding gets along with everyone and has zero attitude change around mares.

Edited to add, my geldings were both very hyper, high energy stallions. If yours is more laid back, he may settle down even more once he's gelded. Mine are still very energetic, but no longer crazy for mares.

Last edited:
He's very handsome 🤩. I've had a few geldings that were gelded late. The latest at 8. I did not know them prior to gelding so I don't know how their behavior was before, but they all did seem to retain some "stallionesque" attitude. They are good around mares, but they can be a handful and have that "here I am" personality.

I have one who was a breeding stallion all his life then I gelded him at 16. He hasn't had any issues with gaining more weight. His personality hasn't changed at all but he isn't interested in breeding mares anymore and plays much more. He's out with 3 mares and two geldings, one wasn't gelded till 2 1/2 and they all get along fine.

He is 8, and he's not a problem as a little stallion, but I want to keep life easy. And keeping a stallion and a mare without having a foal every year is not easy. The plan was to sell him in the spring, but my husband likes him so I'm not sure that is going to happen. Of course he may change his mind after hearing the price for gelding. Ha Ha.

He is 8, and he's not a problem as a little stallion, but I want to keep life easy. And keeping a stallion and a mare without having a foal every year is not easy. The plan was to sell him in the spring, but my husband likes him so I'm not sure that is going to happen. Of course he may change his mind after hearing the price for gelding. Ha Ha.
If you like him, you should invest in him. It's not that easy finding a good horse.
The vet I used kept my older one for several hours, to make sure he came through well. It's harder on them than on the young whippersnappers. I am very surprised at some of the high prices horse owners have to pay for gelding. It is so reasonable here, that it is getting harder to find a nice stallion!

It used to be cheap here, I expected maybe $400 tops. I usually don't call around for prices but when I heard that price I had to. There are about a dozen good reasons to find him a new home. So it still could go either way.

Last edited:
I still haven't quite decided what to do with Thunder, but if he stays here, he needs to be gelded. I've never had an older horse gelded and I'm curious if anyone has and noticed personality changes? Also if he is more likely to have a problem with his weight? He was very overweight when he came here, but he has lost quite a bit just being on a dry lot. I don't want to have to get into weighing his hay or anything just because if I did I would have to keep him separate anyway. And if I was going to do that I could save myself $700-$1000. I got 2 prices from 2 different vets and it really is that much now. I guess I should share a picture of him too, since I haven't.
I sent you a pm.

I have a suggestion. Do you have a vet school within a reasonable distance? Our NC State Veterinary School offers free/greatly reduced geldings if you bring them to be done during those hands-on learning semesters. The students do the gelding under veterinary supervision, as long as it's a simple and straightforward geld. When we did Spanky (the chestnut in your pm), my girlfriend brought one of her Shetland's that was cryptorchid. The students learned that, under anesthesia, the muscles relax and you can sometimes "pop out" the one retained testicle. You can even ask bunches of questions because it's a learning environment!🤗

That might be a thrify option for you if you decide to keep him. Even the cost of travel might be more economical than paying the price you've been quoted! Also, try calling around to some boarding stables in your area. Explain the situation and see if they have some recommendations.

He's a looker, to be sure! I see those in-the-perfect-condition dapple blooms on his rump that shows he's well cared for.😍🤩

He is a very nice stallion, and will make a SUPER fancy gelding. 😁 Encourage hubby to like him some more!View attachment IMG_0136.MOV

I found this on a phone after my husband and I separated. I didn't know he even he liked little horses! I sold this stallion years ago, so was quite surprised to find this in his active files. If YOUR hubby expresses even a passing interest...keep the pony!!🤗🤗

Latest posts

Back