Geld Or Not To Geld?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Katie --

Your parents should be educated about what $$$ it takes to stand a miniature horse at stud. We've talked about how that isn't going to be Leo's thing really, but even if you ended up getting and AMHR/AMHA halter stallion, in order to attract interested people to breed to him, it takes time and money. Almost everyone who decides to breed minis decides to buy their own stallion, or maybe breed to a friend's stallion. To get word out about your stallion, you have to take him to AMHR / AMHA shows and he's got to win. It takes money, time and a lot of effort to show on the level you'd need to to get just a couple / few mares a season. I'm not promoting this idea, but if someone wants to make money out of breeding animals, there's probably quite a bit more money in breeding purebred dogs than horses (which I'm not promoting, just trying to make a point). Plus, in addition to the money it takes to show, there's the purchase price and there is the upkeep. Even with the nicest of stallions, I would expect stud fees to be a small offset to the overall cost of ownership.

Jill

Katie I have no idea how you are going to get your parents to listen to anyone here unless maybe you bring them here to this thread and let them read and learn from the others.

They are doing this for the money.

A lot of people do this for the money.

But what money?

I'd love to know, where's the money in breeding a pet stallion?

They are under the false impression that they are going to be making an income off of breeding your stallion, (who I do think is nice looking by the way). Sure, they may make some quick cash, but they may have to give it all back too if the mares don't carry to term or have a foal born live.

They have no idea how much insurance is going to cost them and oh brother if that stallion hurts/injures a mare in their care, they can be sued real quick, or if the mares get hurt while on your property in any other way. Tell them that besides insurance, they are going to be needing a lawyer and a good contract.

I'd also like to know how they arrived at their figures already $200. fee and $50. for mare care? Did they just pull those figures out of the air? And what kind of care exactly will the mares get and where do they plan to find the clients for this un-registered horse? Ask them.

I'm sorry that you are in this position. Maybe they can come on here and do some reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF you could get your parents to go to a real AMHA/AMHR show where they could see the stallions that are winning and what they look like compared to your boy......

We had looked into running a stud farm. The costs are incredible!

1. You have to have the type of stallion people want to breed to. That in itself can cost a lot.

2. You HAVE to show and promote what you have. Most importantly, you HAVE to win or place in at least the top 3.

3. You need to have a couple of your own mares to breed to your stallion to

show what his offspring look like. Then your mares have to be good quality to help produce the quality foals that people are going to want.

4. You have to have the facilities to house the outside mares where they will be well taken care of. You can't just expect someone to bring their beloved mare and dump her into a pasture with a stallion or placed in a corral of some type.

5. You have to be able to provide the kind of care the mare's owner would provide. Match her feed, schedules, etc... to keep her happy and content.

6. You have to deal with the mare owners. This in itself can become quite the ordeal. Not everyone is alike and there are all kinds of folks out there.

7. You are going to have to have insurance. Your stallion needs coverage in case the mare hurts him. Then the mare needs to have coverage in case the stallion hurts her.

8. Just the legal aspects can get costly. What if the mare colics and dies on your place? If you don't have a contract stating you are not responsible, the owners can or will go after the costs from you.

To me, it just isn't worth it. Especially if your boy is only WCMHR registered. It isn't a big registry and not that many people go for that one.

Just wondering why so many people say so many horses are not halter quality? Sure he may not be stallion quality, or halter quality as a stallion. But that doesn mean he couldnt win as a gelding.

Personally, im a gelding fan. NOt much that I have born here doesnt become a gelding. I also do not own a stallion.

Ashley, from what I have seen these days at the AMHR shows, it takes a stallion quality gelding to win at halter.

Well everybodys opinon is different. And at shows that is just what it is, everybodys opinon. I have seen many stallions and lots of geldings wining that I would never have in my barn. But that is just my opinion.

That's really the bottom line with showing. It is about opinions. When you choose to show, you are choosing to pay for a judge's opinion of your horse.

Good news guys! I had my parents read ALL OF THE REPLIES! Guess what? As soon as they read it, they got on the phone with the vet and got him scheduled for a castration visit! Yippe! Can't believe y'all did it for me!

I LOVE ALL OF Y'ALL!

~Katie~

~katie~ said:
Good news guys! I had my parents read ALL OF THE REPLIES! Guess what? As soon as they read it, they got on the phone with the vet and got him scheduled for a castration visit! Yippe! Can't believe y'all did it for me!
I LOVE ALL OF Y'ALL!

Katie - in the long run, Leo will love you for it, too.

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
RESULT
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

That is great!!!! Katie, you will enjoy him so much more as a gelding!!! I thought and debated for a year before I gelded my former show stallions and I love them so much more as geldings -- which is saying a lot! Anyone who knows me knows I pretty much love Derby all there is!

Katie, i think you will all be happier this way.

my sister and i are going to work with mostly geldings and just have a couple of babies a year. i bred my stallion to 3 mares this year and if those foals are NOT up to par, he will be gelded next year. i would rather have him as a show gelding than throwing sub-standard foals.

just my opinion...jennifer
saludando.gif

Katie - so glad to hear things will work out...you will be able to show thru 4-H, Leo will be happier (not so frustrated). I think you will do great at the shows, Leo is very handsome
yes.gif

unfortunately--breeding studs are a dime a dozen. The only people that can make any money breeding outside horses are those that have spent much time and money proving their stallion to be superior to all the rest. For the regular backyard breeder (and there are far too many of these) there are many colts that sell for very little so most will buy something rather than pay for breeding.

Maybe if your parents were to call some of us and get an opinion, they may listen to what we have to say rather than just thinking that you want to do this for your own good. I personally have 12 geldings and one more to become one. Everyone who sees my boys loves them and I have no fear of silliness from any of them. A stallion that is breeding mares can get a little unruly even if he was a sweet loving boy before he found out what the ladies were for.
rolleyes.gif

Should have read further before responding. Glad to hear you and your parents have reached an agreement. Your little guy will be a friend to you for many, many years. Good luck at your shows. I think he has a lot of potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so glad your parents are being sensible- he is going to make you an AWESOME gelding!!!

Latest posts

Back