Gas vs Diesel Engine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davie

Reaction score
I would like to have input from you all that pull gooseneck trailers that are 6 ft wide 20 ft long steel trailer that has a gross weight of 6900 pounds.

Have found a really nice Chevy 3500 Crew Cab, long bed with a 5.7 Vortec, 90,000+ miles that is ready to pull. Within my price range of $12000.00.

With the limited funds I have should I wait and try and find a Ford F250 Powerstroke Super Cab that can pull almost anything. Don't want a dually.

How much will I be giving up if I buy the gas engine vs the diesel. This is a one time shot at purchasing a different vehicle.

I need to know if this is enough horsepower/engine if I get into hills like in Arkansas or surrounding states--not going to the mountains like NV, NM or CO--if I do that will go with a friend of mine.

With a trailer that heavy, I'd say go for a diesel. JMO. Whatever you do, make sure that whatever vehicle you get is equipped for towing-- many are not, and will overheat or worse (transmission trouble!)

WEll, you know how I feel about it! Ford Diesel all the way!
smile.gif

You'll get way better fuel economy and never feel underpowered with a diesel.

Hi,

I have a 2002, Ford Super Duty F250, GAS.

I pull a 2 horse, bumoer pull trailer.. IT DIES ON HILLS. (but I still love it)

My friend's 2002, F250 Super Duty Power Stroke DIESEL is AWESOME!!

Never even know you have a trailer back there (his is a gooseneck)

Good Luck!

Sandy

i'd say go with the desiel. In the long run, they are usually better on fuel milage. They also last longer than a gas engine, my desiel has over 100,000 miles as is barely broke in. my only suggestion which every you get have a transmission temp gauge installed. by the time you engine light kicks on, your tranny is usually toast, so the tranny gauge will give you a big heads up before engine temp will if there is ever anything wrong.

I have a 1996 Ford F250 with the 5.7 (351) engine that has logged 212,000 miles. I have pulled a 2 horse bumper pull, a 20' steel gooseneck and a 26' aluminum gooseneck for many many miles to horse shows. I works very hard but it gets the job done. However, it's no fun to drive with the big trailer and the milage is about 7.

I also have a new 2004 F350 with the 6.0 Diesel and there is no comparison. That big boy doesn't even break a sweat with the big trailer and I have yet to let a Toyota pass me. Gets about 14 mpg and will go as fast as you want to go.

I drive the F250 to work and around the farm hauling feed, hay, etc but when we need to pull a trailer it's the F350 Diesel.

If you can wait and can afford it go for the Diesel.

Yep, I'd go for a Super Duty (Ford) Diesel, too, but stay away from the 6.0 liter powerstroke and stick w/the 7.3.

Just our experience, our 6.0 has been pretty problematic: worn cam, replaced at 28,000 miles, a blown turbo pipe @ 40,000 miles, and numerous problems w/the electrical system like shutdowns while we are driving, etc.

I miss my 7.3!

Still, Chevy's diesels are notoriously crappy. I would go for a Dodge Cummins Diesel over the Chevy, if I could not buy Ford, but Ford is always my first choice.

Liz M.

Al B said:
I also have a new 2004 F350 with the 6.0 Diesel and there is no comparison. That big boy doesn't even break a sweat with the big trailer and I have yet to let a Toyota pass me.
433822[/snapback]

Thanks Al, made my day.

Hi Davie!
saludando.gif
I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins Diesel motor and just LOVE it!!!
wub.gif
You have seen pictures of my trailer and the Dodge pulls it like a dream. We go up to Margot's (SHF Miniatures) a couple times a year and it pulls that big trailer up the mountains like it is not even back there.
biggrin.gif
Before I got this truck, I had the Dodge 1500 gas motor and it would die and struggle up the mountains to Margot's pulling a little bumper pull trailer. So go for the diesel is you can manage it financially. You won't go wrong. Oh, also, my Dodge with the diesel has about 65,000 miles on it and it is just STARTING to break in.
yes.gif
We have been getting around 17 miles per gallon when we go to Margot's with the trailer. Good luck!!!

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

nootka said:
Still, Chevy's diesels are notoriously crappy.  I would go for a Dodge Cummins Diesel over the Chevy, if I could not buy Ford, but Ford is always my first choice. 

433828[/snapback]

HEY!! We have a GMC Duramax Diesel, this truck ROCKS! No problems whatsoever, and hubby's friends who see it end up going and buying one too.

His friends with Fords are always needing a ride, since theirs are in the shop so much *ducking and running* LOL!!

We have a Ford F350 diesel powerstroke. Larry's been hauling his 36 foot steel gooseneck trailer with it since the truck was new in 1999. It has 440,000+ miles on it. The engine has finally told us it needs either heavy duty work or to be replaced.

Larry and I both agree that the Cummins diesel engine is the best engine made for hauling. However the Dodge truck body is still a piece of "you know what"...... So we are going to stick with the heavy duty Ford diesel powerstroke for now.......

MA

Hi

Stick with the Ford.

We have F250s with V10"s in them now but still have one with a 460 gas. We Usually haul cattle in our 24' gooseneck and gross about 22,000 lbs. hauling from ME to PA. When we are on the road loaded and come to a hill ( a real one not a bump) We roll right on by most all of the diesels. They might pass us on the flat but they don't keep up on the hills. We have nearly 300,000 on the gooseneck only problem with the Fords was a plugged fuel filter and broke alternator.

We do get trailer tow package and heavy packages. Oh we allways have Automatics. Never toasted one yet. We never could see the thrill in changing clutches. Our freinds do it way to often.

Good luck and happy truck hunting.

Mark

just a thought a local auto talk show estimated the number of miles to break even with a diesel was just over 300,000. That was before diesel cost more than gas

We also have a duramax and it runs like no other, go for the diesel. Whatever the brand. Plus the engines last longer then the gas. Better gas mileage and more pulling power. I pass people over the mtn passes. Its cool.

I have a 2004 Chevy Duramax Diesel and it is AWESOME - not a single problem out of it the two years I have had it and NUMEROUS shows/different states it has went to.

I live in the Ozark Mts. of Arkansas and we have crappy roads and it takes it like a charm. Pulls my gooseneck going 80 very easy...I tend to get leadfooted sometimes
rolleyes.gif

I have a 95 powerstroke diesel, 7.3 liter, and I will never go back to gas, I have hauled EVERYTHING and I pull hills at 65-70 if I want.

LOVE IT

I also have a Ford Diesel, F-350 Power Stroke King Ranch Edition. Bought it used with just over 50,000 miles on it. Its pulls my trailer great and as for milage, I have a Dodge that I love, only a 1500 but gas. It gets about 8 miles per gallon pulling a small trailer than i have now, it can't pull the trailer i have now. But the Ford pulls just fine and I get about 13.5 miles to the gallon even pulling up the mountains. Well worth it for me. We also make pretty long hauls, been to FL twice this year, heading for our second trip to OH, been to AL. So we do long distances right now too. As for make of truck, I don't think it matters, what ever you like best. There are good and bad in every make. Good luck and hope you find the perfect truck.

I have an '87 King, 16' gooseneck that I haul with no problems at all, with my lil old Chevy "work-truck. She only has a 4.3, 6cyl, though we did put a 3/4 ton rear-end on 'er. The truck pulls this trailer just as easy as a knife-cuts-through-butter.

Even when I had either my 36 foot, and/or 26 foot goosenecks, we never had more than a Chevy 3/4 ton, with a gas engine, and they were full of quarterhorses and appaloosas...no minis back then.

Do make sure that you have a transmission cooler, and GOOD trailer brakes.

Davie said:
I would like to have input from you all that pull gooseneck trailers that are 6 ft wide 20 ft long steel trailer that has a gross weight of 6900 pounds. 
Have found a really nice Chevy 3500 Crew Cab, long bed with a 5.7 Vortec, 90,000+ miles that is ready to pull.  Within my price range of $12000.00.

With the limited funds I have should I wait and try and find a Ford F250 Powerstroke Super Cab that can pull almost anything.  Don't want a dually. 

How much will I be giving up if I buy the gas engine vs the diesel.  This is a one time shot at purchasing a different vehicle.

I need to know if this is enough horsepower/engine if I get into hills like in Arkansas or surrounding states--not going to the mountains like NV, NM or CO--if I do that will go with a friend of mine.

433778[/snapback]

http://www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/art...uck_trailer.htm

Latest posts

Back