Gas Pains........ Now enough is enough.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"City Slicker"

Reaction score
Ok people, dust off the harness, clean up the cart, at $2.50 a litre for gas, yes I seen it myself, Tonto is gonna drive me to work! This is absolutly nuts, and is really getting out of hand. How the heck are we suppose to work when we can't afford to go and work!!! or go to the shows for that matter! Don't be surpised if ya read about what I'm gonna do in the paper, after all the horse was on the road before the car ever was !!!!!!!!
yes.gif

In many places such as where I live, horses and mule teams still do have the right of way, but it really doesn't mean much.

I know you will take great care, and you must be very confident in Tonto's abilities, but please do look out for the other guys. There's a lot of people out there in vehicles that will go out of their way to beep and honk at horses just so scare a horse for the thrill of it. You just never know what you can be setting yourself up for now a days. Some people can be very cruel in the world so please be careful.
yes.gif

LOL!
biggrin.gif

First thought that I "thunk" when I saw your thread title, I was gonna suggest "Bean-O".
risa_suelos.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.
wink.gif

Actually, I was just also pondering if folks would make way on the roads, if we had to resort to horse 'n buggy just to get to the local Winn-Dixie for groceries every week?
unsure.gif
Or even the feed store for that matter.
smile.gif

Back in my "riding" days...when we were kids, my cousins and I used to ride our horses up to the McDonald's Drive-Thru every Sunday after church!
laugh.gif
Folks always welcomed us into the traffic to get there. They knew our horses needed their "Ronald McDonald Cookies".
biggrin.gif

This was the McDonald's in Winter Garden, on Hwy 50 at the intersection of Dillard.
new_shocked.gif

NO WAYYYY would I attempt that nowadays.
wacko.gif

EDITED: HEYYYY!!!! That would be an AWESOME TRAIL DRIVE EVENT!

It would be SO NEAT if we could ralley up a bunch of folks and go driving down a major roadway and all of us carry signs, something like "SAVE GAS, DRIVE A MINI".
biggrin.gif

We could carry "cowboy boots" for collections along the route, and maybe give all the funds collect to local "Hospice" caretakers, or other critical caregivers that depend on gas for their cars to get to homebound patients...plus transports services that rely on gas to get their handicapped patients to their regular doctor's appointments, and take them out for shopping, and leisure times too. Folks that depend on the transport services of Hospice type units so that they are able to get out and about and all. Or maybe even give the collections to services like "Meals On Wheels" or something.

I dunno....Just a thought...
unsure.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool....we could make a NATIONAL DRIVE LINE????
unsure.gif

A group from each state and all on a specific date???
aktion033.gif

Hey....let's give it a go???
saludando.gif

Gosh...maybe even give "transport funds" for red-cross, so that they can afford to keep those truckloads of much needed supplies to Katrina...and possibly soon to be the need for "Rita" victims???

We could all start or end the route at a local "McDonald's??? And give the horses some "Ronald McDonald Cookies" for all their hard work.
yes.gif

Speaking of this, yesterday I rode my QH to the post office....saved me 3 bucks in gas at least =)

He was very good too! I tied him to the flag pole outside, and ran in and got the mail...piece of cake
biggrin.gif

Boy... I hear you on THAT one! I have been paying upwards of $3.65 a gallon FOR DIESEL!!! AGGGHHH!!! And I drive a Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins Turbo engine...
wacko.gif
the guy at the gas station just stands back and laughs when he sees me drive in....
no.gif

Funny, I had that same thought, so I told Warrior... (my stallion RGR's Pale Warrior) that he was going to have to share the load in picking up feed, getting to shows, etc... he looked at me like
new_shocked.gif
.. I said it was either that or,,
eat.gif
(just kidding! LOL!) I really think he thought I meant share windshield time on the drives to the shows... (trust me, of ALL the horses in my barn, he COULD probably learn how to drive, I just think that he would have a problem with the stick shift....
whistling.gif
)

But all kidding aside, this is getting just ridiculous... and it is getting very hard to continue to train and have to raise hauling prices to get to shows. I can just tell what is going through my clients minds... "hmmmm.... house payment or trainer payment....." guess who loses....
no.gif

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

I live in a VERY big Amish area - (Perhaps they have the right idea)
wacko.gif

We could all start or end the route at a local "McDonald's??? And give the horses some "Ronald McDonald Cookies" for all their hard work.
Just in our experience, but McDonald's did NOT like us driving horses through the drive up, so we might want to find somewhere more horse friendly, and someone w/better tasting food. *LOL*

Sounds like a fun event! I've got two really well broke mares, here, but if we don't go soon, one of them is gonna have a baby in Jan. and she might not fit between the shafts!

;)

Liz

Just in our experience, but McDonald's did NOT like us driving horses through the drive up, so we might want to find somewhere more horse friendly, and someone w/better tasting food.  *LOL*
Sounds like a fun event!  I've got two really well broke mares, here, but if we don't go soon, one of them is gonna have a baby in Jan. and she might not fit between the shafts!

;)

Liz

472075[/snapback]

Hi Liz,

LOL, actually, that is why we stopped going. I remember the ownership changed hands of that particular McDonald's, and he "asked" us to stop going in the drive-thru.
sad.gif
Haven't done it since.
sad.gif
Gosh, it's been well over 25 years or so, I think. He said "horsey poo" at a "food place" wasn't a keen idea.
unsure.gif
He was right, so we respected his request. If I remember right...I think it was my horse that fertilized their garden that day.
wacko.gif

Hey, we could maybe shoot for the end of October? That would give us a bit over a month to get "organized".
yes.gif

We have a large mennonite population here and we do see a mennonite moblie go through the drive through at Tim Hortons, and Mickey Dees. Sale days see multitudes of mennonites heading towards the sales barns.

Boy - I THOUGHT about driving to work --- takes me 30 minutes in my truck - about 20 miles - but I would take a shorter route that has lower speed limit -- unfortunately I don't think my boy could make it 35+ miles a day for the round trip. Much less carry groceries etc..

I used to live 3 miles from work -- I would have done it for a gag if I still lived close!

JJ

same problem here I live 45 miles from work and with the way people drive here I wouldn't do it anyway.........might be able to do part of the trip on BLM but eventually would have to be on the road with the crazy nutjobs ...bad enough in a car...on the upside I could stable them across the street at the fairground or race track
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I live in a very large Amish area also, and the heavily traveled roads and highways have extra wide shoulders to accomadate the buggies and horses.

They do not travel farther than 20 miles (one way) with their horses. So they pay someone to drive them, and the rate has gone up with the price of gas.

Latest posts

Back