Gas Mileage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
What do you guys consider to be good gas mileage on a car or small suv? We are in the process of selling our truck and would like to get something that gets better gas mileage. 20,25,30,35 to the gallon? What are your thoughts? We are looking at the smaller suv's that Melody could possibly fit in.

Thanks so much
default_biggrin.png

I don't know much about the gas mileage question (I get 14mpg on my Tahoe; DH less on his F350, so I feel your pain about fuel!), but from what I get to clean up after they are trailered, I would be worried about my SUV ever being the same after carrying one of these guys. Though I do know someone who uses a minivan with the middle seat pulled out, for quick trips in town.

yeah it would only be for short trips to the vet, to the park, to town. I have hauled Melody twice in my Mom's mini van with little problems. I put a tarp down and then a bag of shavings. It kept everything really dry and clean. When I was done I just had to pull the tarp out and the shavings, urine and manure came with it. I think our truck gets about 15 miles to the gallon. NOT GOOD AT ALL! So I am hoping to at least get over the 20 mark with our next vehicle. I just thought others might have some input but it appears I'm not the only one confused by the gas tank lol :DOH!

personally from what i've seen with any SUV/van ect your doing well to get much over 20 mpg. Little cars depending on what you get you can get 30+. Toyota's tend to get really excellent gas mileage. My 93 corolla gets 38 mpg. I gues some of the new hybrids get 40+ (though they advertise them 50+ i've been hearing they really get in the 40's not the 50's).

Well this is the dilemma we have had.

My 2004 Kia spectra gets about 30, hubbies 91 geo metro gets near 40.....we have looked at small suv's and minivans and tops they 20-25...well my 88 chevy suburban with TBI gets 18
default_new_shocked.gif
....the suburb can tow a house...the small suv or mini van can tow but not much
default_wacko.png
we own the suburb free and clear a new rig would be a payment and higher insurance......it is a quandry.

I am waiting for the low gas use trucks to be offered to the public (they have them in spec but not for release) :DOH!

too funny Brandi we are also looking at a new small SUV, my most important 2 criteria are gas mileage and height of driver's head (i am in a tiny little car now and scared to death i am going to get smushed!) and of course, whether i like the looks - some of them are just FUGLY lol

we have just started to look at the ones driving by us on the road and haven't yet begun actual research into stats so i'm no help yet on the facts... personally i kinda like the look of the Honda CRV, Jeep Liberty and hubby likes Saturn Vue. if we get busy on our internet research into the stats i will share with you what i find as far as gas mileage, warranties, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks Susan!! We haven't went and looked at any in person yet but I have been doing research on line and keeping my eyes open on the highway. So far I like the Kia, Sorento (very cute), the Toyota Element (because it looks like there might be a lot of room for Melody in the back) and the Jeep Liberty. A lot can change when we actually go and drive them. We have our truck up for sale now and we don't plan on looking until it's sold. I am excited to get a new car again
default_yes.gif
I really want something that gets decent gas mileage though. Car shopping can be a very complicated process lol :DOH!

Thanks Susan!! We haven't went and looked at any in person yet but I have been doing research on line and keeping my eyes open on the highway. So far I like the Kia, Sorento (very cute), the Toyota Element (because it looks like there might be a lot of room for Melody in the back) and the Jeep Liberty. A lot can change when we actually go and drive them. We have our truck up for sale now and we don't plan on looking until it's sold. I am excited to get a new car again
default_yes.gif
I really want something that gets decent gas mileage though. Car shopping can be a very complicated process lol :DOH!
My friend has a Sorento and she really likes it...... said it gets about 25 mpg on average. We have looked at the Element, they get decent mileage 25-30 but the seats are way uncomfortable, I love the ability to hose out a car
default_wink.png
but it doesn't have much tow capacity so sort of ruled it out. The problem I am also having is that the small SUV's don't have enough room for two large dog crates and all my show gear
default_rolleyes.gif
so not sure how they would work to haul a mini.......the element is probably a good choice due to the ease of cleaning it out......it basically has stall mats for floors
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
and the seats fold up and away. Now if they made a mini van with the floor/interior of the Element and the gas mileage of my geo....that would be perfect.
default_biggrin.png

oh well that bursted my bubble lol :DOH! I would like it to be comfortable too!!! The sorento that I saw today had a hitch on it so I am thinking that you could haul a small trailer with it. I don't need anything huge. Time will tell. I have no idea what we will end up with. But thanks for the gas mileage info. It's nice to hear about certain vehicles from other sources besides the salesmen.

We recently bought a Chevy HHR...29-33 mpg. I have had Cricket in it, but she is small enough to fit in the back cargo area. If I took the back seat out I might be able to get a 30-35" mini in.

1STDAYOFSPRING200703-18-2007060.jpg

1STDAYOFSPRING200703-18-2007056.jpg

OMG that is actually my dream car
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
I want it in purple.......but I wanted to wait a couple years for the kinks to get worked out so we bought my kia instead
default_wink.png

We recently bought a Chevy HHR...29-33 mpg. I have had Cricket in it, but she is small enough to fit in the back cargo area. If I took the back seat out I might be able to get a 30-35" mini in.

1STDAYOFSPRING200703-18-2007060.jpg

1STDAYOFSPRING200703-18-2007056.jpg

How much head room would a mini need in a suv? I am noticing a lot of them have about 38,39' of headroom. The Element has 43 I think. If you have a 30',33' mini what would be a comfortable amount of space for their heads?

Rockin R,

I did look online at the HHR but my husband hates it so it's out of the question lol :DOH! I like the color you picked!!!!

How much head room would a mini need in a suv? I am noticing a lot of them have about 38,39' of headroom. The Element has 43 I think. If you have a 30',33' mini what would be a comfortable amount of space for their heads?

Rockin R,

I did look online at the HHR but my husband hates it so it's out of the question lol :DOH! I like the color you picked!!!!
I really was not a big fan of the HHR's till we went and looked at them. The test drive was all it took for me. We call it the Wanna-Be....because we were looking for a Trail Blazer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so it wanna be a Trail Blazer when it grows up!!! I have not once regreted buying this HHR. Great little SUV...

Rockin r. My brother and sister in law have a black HHR and LOVE it!! they dont have minis though...My brother in law wants the color you have but wife wanted black so they got black!!

Brandi,

Remember the gas milage they list is not for 4 people in the car going down the road, they list the highest to get you interested but if you fill the car with people, minis, luggage etc your gas milage goes down..

Toyotas have always been good on gas, plus they are an excellent vehicle, they last FOREVER and dont need alot of maintinence.. they do cost more but if you get a couple years old/used you take alot off the price and still get a new vehicle... They keep their value cause they go so long...

We currently gave a 1994 Toyota 4-runner,just bought it last year with 150,000 miles on it and it was $3500, its our 2nd vehicle- we drive it all the time, get better gas milage than our 2003 4 door chevy truck which we pay Big bucks for... We use it to haul our 5 th wheel camper and such but the cheap 4 runner is what we drive most...

I have heard kias are cheaper but break down alot, my friends that have them say so. I dont have a kia so dont know firsthand...

good Luck in your search...

Latest posts

Back