gary's headstone

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
hope you don't think this is morbid of me but i thought you might like to see how gary's headstone turned out. i went to look at it yesterday, it won't be set for another couple of weeks, we're waiting for the little porcelain picture of him that will go in the oval space above his name.

headstone1.jpg

this close-up of the etching in the upper right corner really does not do it justice. they have a college student who free-hands etchings and the detail is just breathtaking. gary was passionate about our bluebirds and since we got together later in life and never had children of our own, he always called my john the "son i never had". you can see the mom and dad bluebird sitting on the nest box with the baby peeking out the hole. i think it is very symbolic of "us".
default_smile.png

headstonebluebirds.jpg

in the upper left corner is another etching, two hearts intertwined with wedding bands. although we were never "legal", gary said we were "married where it counts, in our hearts".

on the back of the stone, i had carved "when you think i've loved you all i can, i'm gonna love you a little bit more"...lyrics from "our song". under that, "doc loves squaw" (our nicknames for each other), something gary carved into everything he built out here.
default_smile.png
the back of the stone will face a line of trees so won't be easily visible unless you walk around it. i just wanted something there that would be significant only to us.

thanks for letting me share, again...hope you don't think it's out of line. i can't wait to get it set so i can plant grass and flowers for gary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlene,

I for one do not think it's in bad taste or out of line.......it is a beautiful stone! I LOVE the bluebirds, what detail! Thank you for showing it to us............ I know how hard it is to see the stone, because it now feels permanent and dredges up everything, all over again. we just got my niece's stone this past week, she was 4 when she died in October. We are going to have a little "stone placement service" this weekend. I will be thinking of you and Gary.........

Not out of line. Thanks for sharing, got all teary eyed this morning when I saw it. Such a beautiful love the 2 of you share.

thanks, everybody and yes appy, SO much thought goes into these things. i wanted it to be perfect and something gary would have wanted and i think it turned out to be just that.

laughingllama, i am so sorry for your loss. how tragic to lose a child, i cannot imagine the grief and i will be thinking of all of YOU this weekend.

that we did RM! we still do.
default_wink.png

That is absolutely awesome. My hubby and I bought our sites 20 yrs ago and I told him that it is time to plan our stone together
default_yes.gif

That is so Beautiful Charlene... You had the things that meant the most to you and Gary and that is so special..

Thanks for sharing with us..

Missy

Charlene

Your love for Gary and for each other shines bright for all the world to see in that stone, thank you for sharing with us.

Awwwwwwww.............
default_bye-sad.gif
default_bye-sad.gif
default_bye-sad.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
now, now marty! NO CRYING ALLOWED! if i had given the guy wrong spellings or wrong dates, now THAT would be grounds for crying!
default_new_shocked.gif

YOU are a goofball, Charlene!
default_biggrin.png
LOL well, ya know, i've believed all along that gary wouldn't want me to be sad and crying all the time but it's just been recently that i have been able to allow myself some latitude there.
default_wink.png

i have to say, here you guys are thanking ME when *I* should be thanking YOU for all you have done for me. so, thank you all!
default_wub.png

bwnanny, that's one of the things i was going for...i want everybody who lays eyes on gary's headstone to SEE the love i put into it. i'm so glad you can!
default_smile.png

default_aktion033.gif
Perfect!! I love it!! You've done an outstanding job getting everything together to make this one fantastic headstone!
default_yes.gif
Throughout the ages, folks will know what an incredible love the two of you have! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

God bless,

Joan

I will be different...I smiled. To see the love and care and thought behind this wondrous good stone, the birds are perfect. Your love is eternal.

I will be different...I smiled. To see the love and care and thought behind this wondrous good stone, the birds are perfect. Your love is eternal.
i surprised myself by smiling when i saw it the first time, too! i was so apprehensive, really thought i would have a meltdown but it turned out so well, it made me happy, in a different sort of way.
default_smile.png

Charlene

What a beautiful way to show your love for Gary and the beautiful life you had together.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Vicky

Charlene it is just awesome. So pretty and just perfect for the two of you.

Steve and I have talked about ordering our stone (we have our spot) and I so want it to be like yours and Gary's. I want it to reflect the life we have had together and our love for each other.

Latest posts

Back