Garlic for bug protection?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dosage is a little less than a teaspoon. I just measured from the scoop that I use. I give it to them once a day in their evening feeding, but not always. If I have to go out and don't get home in time to soak beet pulp, then I skip that day. And of course at shows, I usually don't have time for it. But even after 3 or 4 days at a show, they still aren't bothered.
At shows I do fly spray my obstacle and hunter horses because while it keeps the flies from biting them, one or two might still come buzz around and I don't want them to be distracted in any way. My flies at home know better than to try to come around. They are smart, lol.
Great, you seem to be an expert on this one too. Thank you.

I am going to start a new horse on it today, so I can let you know when I see a difference. She is a pastured show horse who's being bothered by the flies.
So you are now starting a new horse? Please don't use your home flies.🤣

I just listened to breeders who have been doing this for a long time and followed the directions on how to use it! Now I see a huge difference in my horses, between that and the hoof and coat supplement.
Well the home flies are giving her a hard time right now! Maybe I should say the barn flies are smart because there are none in there. She is pastured though.
So far no difference since I forgot to soak beet pulp for her yesterday and today I was clipping another horse late in the afternoon before thunderstorms, so just skipped it.

As far as toxicity, you have to really overdose for 5+ weeks feeding daily to get there. Most research I've seen seems to conclude that. I know it worked for us, in a full show barn of 24 horses, two 9-stall stallion barns, and a pasture of 45-50 broodmare. It went in the feed mixer with everything else, twice a day. We did have a one or two flies, here and there, but it was heavenly working in those barns with no pesky pests.

Wondering if garlic will work for my horses even though my neighbors horse doesn’t get any?
I don't see why it wouldn't. I only have my show horses on it. The big horses are still annoyed by flies, but they can go back into the woods.

We did have a one or two flies, here and there, but it was heavenly working in those barns with no pesky pests.
Yes!! It is so nice not hearing a constant buzz all the time! Mine only get garlic once a day, and not every day, so I highly doubt they would overdose. We've been doing it for 2 years now and have had plenty of health checks in that time too. I think it's possible to reach toxicity levels on a lot of "regular" things with overdosing. Alfalfa for example, too much of that can be bad.

I've used vinegar and I swear it drew flies. Plus it dried the coat and they smell like a salad. Right now I use Absorbine's Green bug spray, I forget what it's called, "Something" Green and it's in a green bottle. It's all natural and works pretty well. And smells nice, kind of spicey. My sensitive pony does not get hives from it and that's a plus.

@Edelweiss do you know if Springtime has a "sample size" of the garlic that we could try before we buy a huge tub? Or could you just use garlic powder from the store? And do you have to soak it before you feed it to your minis?

Reactions: Taz
So I get tl choose between smelling like a salad or smelling like garlic bread! 😂😂😂
Don't worry, The horses do not smell.....but your feed room will! Lol

And no I don't know if they have a sample, probably because it can take a little while to start working. It is just 100% freeze dried garlic, so I guess you could just get some from the store to try.
You don't have to soak it. I feed beet pulp anyway and like knowing that this way they aren't going to waste it. Just don't start by top dressing it! Mine love it now, but at first said no way! 😅

Cayuse, are you using apple cider vinegar? Also, how much?

It didn't dry coats when we used it.🤔 We used about 1 cup per 5 gallons of water. I say about because Harlan said, "three glugs per bucket." The glugs were from a one gallon jug of cider vinegar and the bucket was five gallons.

Also, we sponged the cider rinse over the horse. Once it started to bead off (think like a windshield that's been treated with a water repellant) you were done. I was taught that this shows the oils have been pulled back into the coat. On some horses half a bucket was enough. On others, it took two.

I used it diluted, but I can't remember by how much, like your hubby, I did the "glug" method. I did sponge it on. When I was a kid I would use it (diluted) after washing manes and tails if I couldn't get the suds to rinse out easily, I had pretty good luck with that. Made the tails shine and help lift out the scurfy, dandery stuff.
It may have dried out my guys as Peanut and Oatie have sensitive skin one has allergies and the other excema.

Thought I would give an update on the new horse I started. She's been on it about 2 weeks and she is being bothered much less by the flies now. I only see one or two around her on occasion and they don't stay long. My other pasture horses have the baby flies all around them right now, but she does not, so there is definitely a difference already.

Thought I would give an update on the new horse I started. She's been on it about 2 weeks and she is being bothered much less by the flies now. I only see one or two around her on occasion and they don't stay long. My other pasture horses have the baby flies all around them right now, but she does not, so there is definitely a difference already.
That's amazing. Will she be taking some kind of regular dosage to keep her protected? Thanks for the update.

Latest posts

Back