Garlic for bug protection?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerMaeve

Reaction score
Has anybody tried feeding a dried garlic to their horses for bug protection? We got a supplements catalog in the mail and they sold dried garlic....has anybody had any luck with it? Kinda want to try it (our minis hate fly spray), but the smallest quantity is a 5lb bucket. :confused:
Thanks!

I tried it years ago and it didn't do anything, sorry. Have you tried putting fly spray on a brush and putting it on them that way? Sometimes it's the smell and not the spray, maybe try a different one? I know someone who uses the permethrine (?) infused cow tags on a halter and says they work great. Mine get fly masks and that's it except for one who gets bad sores from scratching as soon as the bugs come out. He has a 'slinky' from ears to tail and does really well with that.

Has anybody tried feeding a dried garlic to their horses for bug protection? We got a supplements catalog in the mail and they sold dried garlic....has anybody had any luck with it? Kinda want to try it (our minis hate fly spray), but the smallest quantity is a 5lb bucket. :confused:
Thanks!
It is from Springtime? I feed their garlic to all of my show horses and not only do they have no flies, there are not even any flies in their barn. A breeder friend and several others who show recommended it. I must say I was skeptical at first, but it is amazing! I've been using it for 2 years now. The way Springtime packages and prepares their garlic helps it stay very fresh. Definitely worth getting the bucket. It will last you awhile too!

It is from Springtime? I feed their garlic to all of my show horses and not only do they have no flies, there are not even any flies in their barn. A breeder friend and several others who show recommended it. I must say I was skeptical at first, but it is amazing! I've been using it for 2 years now. The way Springtime packages and prepares their garlic helps it stay very fresh. Definitely worth getting the bucket. It will last you awhile too!
Yup, from Springtime. Do your horses smell garlicky?

I tried it years ago and it didn't do anything, sorry. Have you tried putting fly spray on a brush and putting it on them that way? Sometimes it's the smell and not the spray, maybe try a different one? I know someone who uses the permethrine (?) infused cow tags on a halter and says they work great. Mine get fly masks and that's it except for one who gets bad sores from scratching as soon as the bugs come out. He has a 'slinky' from ears to tail and does really well with that.
Our minis don't like the spraying sound/sensation and run away. We do have flymasks, but Magic is a very shy horse, (to me at least) and is extremely ear shy. I know my coach swears by the polyurethane (?) fly sprays, but I hate putting chemicals on anything, especially if it just soaks in day after day. I don't like bugs around me, and I can't imagine having them around me all day, every day for ~6mo! 😳

Yup, from Springtime. Do your horses smell garlicky?
No, not at all! 😅 The minis get maybe a tablespoon, at the most. I love Springtime and feed several of their other supplements, I even take one of their human supplements! I put them all in their beet pulp before I soak it and they love it. I have seen a huge difference in my horses since beginning to use them.

No, not at all! 😅 The minis get maybe a tablespoon, at the most. I love Springtime and feed several of their other supplements, I even take one of their human supplements! I put them all in their beet pulp before I soak it and they love it. I have seen a huge difference in my horses since beginning to use them.
Amazing. Do they also have that for humans?:)

Amazing. Do they also have that for humans?:)
Yes, they do. I take the joint supplement, one that I also give to my performance horses, in the horse form, lol.

I tried Springtime garlic one summer, quite a few years ago, and did not notice any effect at all. The horses who got it had just as many flies as those who didn't. So, I have not bought it since.
How long did you try it for? It does take a few weeks to notice a difference. I am reminded of how much it helps every time I get a new horse or clip for others and see all the fly bites!

Fly predators, I love them!! I encourage them any way I can. I even sacrifice a couple of tomato plants to hornworms each year, so that I can be assured the predators have an ample supply of hosts. 😆 If you have a curious mind, it's interesting to see them hunting and carrying their victims around. Seeing their eggs on a host is also a learning experience.

As far as the garlic goes, I've heard mixed reviews. The last time I used it was in an Arabian show barn during the last century ( 😂 I crack me up every time I say that!!!😂) We also added vinegar to our feed, water, and after-workout rinses. We had few flies, and a very comprehensive prevention program. The Moehlman's were all natural before it was popular to do so.

You do have to be careful not to overfeed garlic, as it can cause anemia. Here is a link to a VERY brief paper, that includes maximum dosages:

https://avmajournals.avma.org/view/journals/ajvr/66/3/ajvr.2005.66.457.xml
When I use fly sprays, I use the PYRETHRIN based formulas, as they're derived from certain species of Chrysanthemums.

A multi-pronged approach, along with removal of manure piles to the most distant place on the property that you can, is the most effective.

And for those who use flysheets, here's some interesting research about the effectiveness of zebra-striped coats:

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/zebra-stripes-protect-against-flies-now-we-know-how
As if one didn't have enough stuff in the tackbox, here's the justification for new zebra wear!😆🤗🤑

I am going to start a new horse on it today, so I can let you know when I see a difference. She is a pastured show horse who's being bothered by the flies.
Excellent. What's the dosage, and how long does that protect the horse?

Excellent. What's the dosage, and how long does that protect the horse?
The dosage is a little less than a teaspoon. I just measured from the scoop that I use. I give it to them once a day in their evening feeding, but not always. If I have to go out and don't get home in time to soak beet pulp, then I skip that day. And of course at shows, I usually don't have time for it. But even after 3 or 4 days at a show, they still aren't bothered.
At shows I do fly spray my obstacle and hunter horses because while it keeps the flies from biting them, one or two might still come buzz around and I don't want them to be distracted in any way. My flies at home know better than to try to come around. They are smart, lol.

Latest posts

Back