Gardening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw him with his horse trailer yesterday driving a lot. I thought he was buying/selling horses. He called me yesterday evening and asked if we knew who could bury a horse. He knew we had lost Dapper Dan recently. I was shocked when I heard the reason he was out and about with his trailer all afternoon. His wife just had a new baby; she's only been home a few days. What a sad thing to happen at that happy time.
It is!:( I was thinking of you and how soon after DD

Butterfly on the coneflower. To the left you can see a horn worm on the guaro. The wild flowers are so beautiful right now. I wish I were a photographer. There is a pretty chyrsallis on the petunias. I am told it will be a fritillary butterfly. Lots of pollinators and lizards in the flower beds. Finished picking cherries. Raised beds barren and I'm not even letting a weed grow in them--die, nematodes!

Attachments

• butterfly on coneflower.jpg
    butterfly on coneflower.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 0
Butterfly on the coneflower. To the left you can see a horn worm on the guaro. The wild flowers are so beautiful right now. I wish I were a photographer. There is a pretty chyrsallis on the petunias. I am told it will be a fritillary butterfly. Lots of pollinators and lizards in the flower beds. Finished picking cherries. Raised beds barren and I'm not even letting a weed grow in them--die, nematodes!
No repeat of last year!

Some rocks I painted a few years ago. I did several, but the paint came off the rest. I wonder why? They were all painted the same. I should wash those off and redo. Finding rocks the right shape for buildings is not that easy.

Attachments

• IMG_5188.JPG
    IMG_5188.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm getting some seeds of a plant called a Button Bush. It is a native Oklahoma plant, but not native to my drier southwest area. Do you gardeners have a good way to get my seeds started? I'm thinking of the special dirt mix and in a small pot, which I'll put in a plastic bag to create humidity.

(from 'The Spruce...')
  • Plant in full or partial sun though the shrub will thrive in six to eight hours of sun a day.
  • Aim to keep the soil moist at all times, especially if the bush is in full sun.
  • Avoid alkaline soil and plant buttonbush in soil that is neutral to slightly acidic with a soil pH level of 6.8 to 7.2.
This source and others note the shrub flourishes in moist even wet oil with plenty of sunlight.

(from 'The Spruce...')
  • Plant in full or partial sun though the shrub will thrive in six to eight hours of sun a day.
  • Aim to keep the soil moist at all times, especially if the bush is in full sun.
  • Avoid alkaline soil and plant buttonbush in soil that is neutral to slightly acidic with a soil pH level of 6.8 to 7.2.
This source and others note the shrub flourishes in moist even wet oil with plenty of sunlight.
The Oklahoma Native Plant Society directed me to an excellent site also. This bush is not suited to our prairie climate, but maybe I can keep it going in my irrigated flower bed. Thanks for replying!

Back