Gardening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, you will miss your beautiful flowers. Did any of your Kangaroo Paw survive? Always something ending and starting in the garden! 🌺🌼🥦🥬

We raised two of our garden beds up off the ground so I am picking spinach and lettuce at my waist!
Gardening always kills my low back so this will help.
No, the kangaroo paw croaked. I asked the nurseryman about it. He was nurturing one in the greenhouse, but it didn't look good either. It was interesting to try. I replaced it with red verbena and it has bloomed beautifully and looks perfect among the rocks.

Gorgeous weather so it was time to work in the flower beds and garden. I left a lot of things go to seed for the winter birds, but it was time to tidy them up. Pruned the fruit trees today and one rose. Need to get the onions planted but I was done in for now. Wind is supposed to pick up tomorrow so it was a pleasure to work outdoors today.

Yes! Gorgeous weather here too! I did some gardening yesterday. Move a rose bush that wasn’t getting any sun. Hopefully I didn’t kill it, I’m not good at moving already established plants, I usually end up killing them. 😝 I planted a variegated split leaf philodendron in its spot. Whacked off my purple passion vine, not sure if I was suppose to do that or not, but I took it back to the ground baby! 🤪 I actually need to move it too. It is right in the middle of the yard, not a good spot for it.

I need to plant some seeds: zucchini, cucumber, beans, okra… want to try some broc this year too. I got the biggest zucchini ever when I used straight fresh, HOT & STEAMY horse poop!!

Need to get some herbs going as well: basil, dill (dill is our fav!), & I just planted the rosemary in the ground.

Also need to remove a really old grapevine. The few grapes on it last year were so tart and nasty 🤢 I have already trimmed back the orchard mostly. Hopefully I will get more fruit this year. I put fresh horse poop around each tree too.

I love spring! Wait?? Is it spring yet?? 🥰🥰🤗🤗

False spring. But we can enjoy it. I got the onions planted this morning. Trying to decide whether to put a layer of compost over the area. My soil test says I have plenty of humus but not enough nitrogen.
Daffodils came up too early and the flower buds got frozen. Ornamental kale did not survive either. We did cover the pansies for several nights and they are making a brave show.
I would pull up the grape vine. We have become more ruthless about plants that do not perform or don't give us pleasure.

Wishing we had gardening weather. Still of and on snow storms. But I've purchased all my seed for this year and will be starting it inside at the end of the month.

I need to empty my front planters and totally redo them. They are over grown with grass and the couple of rose bushes I have aren't thriving there. Might move them to the side of the house where they get better sun. Maybe the ground will thaw in the next couple weeks and I can start on it.

My garden containers are u Der 3 feet if snow now and likely will be for another month. I'll buy tomatoes (bedding plants) in late April and will put in potatoes and cucumber seeds when I can --don't think I will plant anything else this year. I've taken a full time term job starting tomorrow and running into September so will have little time for gardening.

Latest posts

Back