Gardening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a new plant at the garden center this year. I think it looks nice by the rock at our dry stream bed. It is called Kangaroo Paws. It will probably be an annual here, but it appears to be thriving and giving us nice color. Don't know if the humming birds will be attracted or not.kangaroo paws.jpgkangaroo paws2.jpg

I found a new plant at the garden center this year. I think it looks nice by the rock at our dry stream bed. It is called Kangaroo Paws. It will probably be an annual here, but it appears to be thriving and giving us nice color. Don't know if the humming birds will be attracted or not.View attachment 43677View attachment 43678
Yes the humming birds will like it. I had this at my old house. Don't be alarmed though when at the end of the season it will turn black. It's not dead. Just cut it back and it will be beautiful the following year.

Nearly 20 years ago we returned to Oklahoma and built a house in a pasture. I brought my whiskey barrel water garden along. After the barrel refused to hold water any more, I put the water lilies in our lagoon. They have spread, and bloom all summer there. Not that I see them much as going to the lagoon is not a normal past time!
I decided to make another little water garden using a very large pot this springpot fish.jpglily bloom.jpg. Not sure how many gallons, but it's a good size. You have to use a glazed pot and we used Flex steel to seal the inside. I dug one of the lilies out of the lagoon to put in it. Added two little goldfish and a couple of water hyacinths (which are doing terrible, I don't know why). My lily has a bud already!
I really enjoy looking into the depths of the pot and catching glimpses of the orange fish.

Last edited:
I found a new plant at the garden center this year. I think it looks nice by the rock at our dry stream bed. It is called Kangaroo Paws. It will probably be an annual here, but it appears to be thriving and giving us nice color. Don't know if the humming birds will be attracted or not.View attachment 43677View attachment 43678

They are lovely and native to "where I am from" there are a few different species of them , the yellow ones are really lovely too. As willow flats said , give them a good cut back each year :)

Did something pee on it? I know that sounds weird but sometimes I've lost flowers near our road when dog walkers let their dogs pee on them :mad:

No snails or slugs. I wondered about a varmint marking it. I went to the nursery where I got it yesterday. They had a couple of plants left. The basal part was alive but the blooms looked terrible, like mine. The nurseryman said it was a new plant for them and they were watching it to see if it was something they would carry in the future. I told him mine died when the humidity got up. It was so pretty against the rock. He said they were blooming in January in the greenhouse. So, maybe I would buy one for spring enjoyment and then expect to replace it in the summer.
I spent all day in the flowerbed yesterday, clearing out violets and chinese lanterns. I left the lanterns that had fruit on them, but pulled up all the others. I really hate those violets; don't even know where they came from in the beginning.

Violets around here grow like dandelions, I have more violets on my front lawn than grass. I just can't fight with them! Are yours white or true violet? I have a few white ones.

Latest posts

Back