Gardening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our "garden" is done........This year everything was in containers or in a raised bed by the barn. We had lettuce and spinach in the raised bed. Tomatoes, yellow zukes, cucumbers, and cantaloupe in big containers. Only got 2 melons but were VERY sweet. The cucumbers were a failure. (They shared a container with the zukes and really should have their OWN.....LOTS of tomatoes and zukes! Larry thinks it was because he replaced all the containers with fresh potting soil.
How did YOUR Garden grow? :)

I raise a few plants of brown heirloom cotton every year. The plant is indeterminate, so I pick bolls over several weeks. Unfortunately, my chickens got into the bed this week and in one day stripped the plants of every leaf and destroyed the green bolls.

It's very frustrating when your animals work against you. This is why I have giving up having goats. When they escape, (and let's face it, they will escape) they can easily destroy your favorite ___________!

Our "garden" is done........This year everything was in containers or in a raised bed by the barn. We had lettuce and spinach in the raised bed. Tomatoes, yellow zukes, cucumbers, and cantaloupe in big containers. Only got 2 melons but were VERY sweet. The cucumbers were a failure. (They shared a container with the zukes and really should have their OWN.....LOTS of tomatoes and zukes! Larry thinks it was because he replaced all the containers with fresh potting soil.
How did YOUR Garden grow? :)
Our cukes and zukes did very well this year, tomatoes, green and (yellow) wax beans too...I plant gourds almost every year and had a pretty good crop of about 45. I sell them at our fall family gathering. :)

We have a long growing season here. Still picking tomatoes, carrots, strawberries and eggplant. Cleaning up the beds where the green beans, artichokes, asparagus, radishes, basil, cilantro and peppers were growing. Last weekend we tilled the field where we grew our melons this year. Watermelon did just ok but we had so many cantaloupe and honeydew this year we were overflowing, which our neighbors appreciate.

Honestly our growing season is so long that I get overwhelmed trying to keep up with weeding and picking the fruit and vegetables and working with the horses.

In the winter I just do spinach, lettuce and kale so it's a lot easier. I will be planting that in a week or so. The artichokes and asparagus just get cut to the ground so at least I don't have to replant those. Every year I say I'm not going to plant a garden, then I cave.

Every year I say I'm not going to plant a garden, then I cave.
I think it is because homegrown produce tastes so much better than store bought produce, especially tomatoes. And there is a certain feeling of independence of being able to walk out your door and pick fresh vegetables for dinner like your once ancestors did.

I agree, Nothing better than being able to walk out the door and pick "fresh" as you need it. This was the first time I've tried planting for "Winter produce". Cauliflower, Broccoli, cabbages ( all did ok ) Celery, carrots, beetroots did really well as did Onions and leeks. I have just pulled out everything so I can start getting the soil ready for summer :)

Lots of major tree damage. Husband is trying to save this large branch on the mulberry. It is the tree for his "shade tree mechanic", so saving the branch was important. He put a threaded rod all the way through. We've done this before on a smaller tree/branch and it worked great. Crossed fingers this will work on this tree also.repaired mulberry.jpg

Good to hear from you!
I agree, Nothing better than being able to walk out the door and pick "fresh" as you need it. This was the first time I've tried planting for "Winter produce". Cauliflower, Broccoli, cabbages ( all did ok ) Celery, carrots, beetroots did really well as did Onions and leeks. I have just pulled out everything so I can start getting the soil ready for summer :)

Picked my last tomatoes and peppers today! They are sort of ugly, but edible. My snapdragons are still going strong, will cover them at night until the bitter end. Love my snappies.
Mine survived the arctic blast just fine. Still cheerful and colorful!

I've never seen Bird of Paradise like this, they are really lovely. At home, I have the standard ones and the Giant "Nicolai" , both are currently flowering :)

Latest posts

Back