Gardening

Discussion in 'The Back Porch' started by Marsha Cassada, Apr 20, 2017.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Apr 9, 2020 #161

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Yes, I think it is a carpenter bee. The wings looked more fly-like, so I wasn't sure.
    Sorry about the rabbits. We have had deer stand outside our fenced garden, looking longingly at the apples. And we hardly ever get to harvest the wild plums because the raccoons eat them when they are still unripe.
    We got 6 new chicks a couple of weeks ago. They were in the house for a while, but we moved them to a tank in the barn recently. More room to grow and they can come and go under the warm light more easily. They will stay there until big enough to go outside to the pen. We like barred rocks; we've had the best luck with them.
    April chicks.jpg

Ryan Johnson likes this.
  2. Apr 14, 2020 #162

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

I replaced what I was able get due to the rabbits having a field day (many things were now out of stock) . I have netted the garden beds and so far so good:)

My citrus trees are looking good and bearing plenty of fruit.

Have you been able to plant anything Marsha ? or is it still too cold ?

3. Apr 25, 2020 #163

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Yesterday I set out two yellow squash. Just bought plants instead of starting from seed. Planted some of the yard long beans I like. My sister gave me two tomatoes, so I set those out. One apple tree did not set blooms at all; we had a cold snap right when the flowers were forming. The other apple already had fruit set and they are fine. I will do a few more things later, when temp is more reliable.

Ryan Johnson and Willow Flats like this.
  4. Apr 26, 2020 #164

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

This is a good year for iris. They are so tall they are taking over the path. And so fragrant! iris.jpg

Cayuse, KLJcowgirl and Ryan Johnson like this.
  5. Apr 30, 2020 #165

KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

:eek: that is the most beautiful forest of Iris! Another one of my very favorites! :)

Marsha Cassada likes this.
  6. May 1, 2020 #166

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

We put the chicks in their outdoor run yesterday. I think the nights are finally warm enough. Last night they did not know to go into their new shelter. They kept peeping frantically, wondering why we didn't come and get them and put them in their trough in the barn. We had to herd them into the new shelter and close the door on them. HOpefully tonight they will know what to do.

Night before last I heard a lot of scraping on the house outside. I went out to see and it was a young raccoon that had climbed UP the side of the house and had his hand in the swallow nest under the eaves. We had a snake shimmy up there but I had no idea raccoons could do that. I threw a cushion at him and yelled but it didn't faze him.

7. May 7, 2020 #167

Cayuse

Cayuse

Cayuse

Beautiful iris Marsha. Mine won't be blooming for another month.

8. May 7, 2020 #168

Cayuse

Cayuse

Cayuse

Have you all heard about the :eek: Murder Hornets?
    What next?

9. May 20, 2020 at 11:45 AM #169

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Cleaned out my strawberry tire this morning, since they are finished for now. Planted black eyed peas and my brown cotton. Yard longs are almost ready to string for climbing. Picked a lot of kale; guess I will steam it this evening. Saw two little tomatoes! Hurrah! I can never grown those. Little squash also; hope they don't fall off. Quite a few apples and cherries. Larkspur are still beautiful. We have had some high winds this month; broke off several red yucca flowers, which hummingbirds love. Catching turtles in the turtle trap in the pond; 45 so far. We take them about 5 miles away to a creek. Hope they don't have a homing instinct. They are all red eared sliders. No rattlesnakes sighted so far this year, which is really odd. Chicks getting big and doing well. Busy time!

Willow Flats and KLJcowgirl like this.
  10. May 20, 2020 at 6:30 PM #170

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Sounds like things are starting to warm up for some gardening weather Marsha !!

Sending good tomato wishes your way :) This year for me was really good, so hoping it is for you too !

45 Turtles is alot, I take it they like breeding in your pond !

11. May 20, 2020 at 7:39 PM #171

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

They come up around the house and corral to lay their eggs. Found two tiny, just-hatched ones on the porch last week. A skunk had dug up one nest; we found the empty eggs. This pond went totally dry a few years ago when we had the record drought. I don't know where they all come from. We also find them wandering around in the yard. My neighbor shoots them, but we are getting too tender hearted in our later years. Plus, it is dangerous to shoot turtles in the pond because the bullets can ricochet. They are so hard on the fish and frogs, just snapping bites out of a fish swimming by, not bothering to eat the whole fish. It's a jungle out there.

Ryan Johnson likes this.
  12. May 20, 2020 at 8:07 PM #172

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

I found one in my front paddock up by the road a couple of years ago, I put him in the lake ( maybe I shouldnt have ). Maybe thats also why im not seeing many fish jumping about !

13. May 20, 2020 at 10:37 PM #173

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I harvested a lot of kale today. Got it all destemmed and washed. I was washing it the second time, ready to steam it, and luckily saw this before it went into the pot. Guess it is a cabbage worm cocoon? The chickens enjoyed it. kale.jpg

KLJcowgirl and Ryan Johnson like this.
  14. May 25, 2020 at 9:58 AM #174

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

may artichoke.jpg Checked in the garden today and there is an artichoke forming! It's as though some exotic creature came to visit. We'll see if it continues to form. The plant is gigantic; really takes up too much room in my tire but I'm curious about it.

Last edited: May 25, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    KLJcowgirl likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted