Gardening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yum , That looks very nice !!

Im not really sure re the water lilies. There is another section that is yet to flower. The only reason I could think that this lot have is they are in very shallow water, so the temp may be warmer.? ( only a guess)

I managed to get Zucchinis and cucumbers planted , but apart from that, my fruit trees have done terribly this year. My plum tree went crazy last year ( made Jam) this year I got 1 plum :confused:

I have plenty of apples but that is exciting as its going to get. I planted heaps of herbs in pots, so Ill dry them shortly and put them into jars for cooking.

Just ordered a peach tree. Should ship in late March. I only have room for one in my enclosed garden. Had to purge the last one--bad variety. This time I got an Elberta; supposed to be excellent for our area. In the past, trees came in standard, semi-dwarf, and dwarf. Now there is standard and "reachable", which is dwarf.
Picked a little cilantro, which had recovered from chickens. Usually have lots of kale in the winter but early cold really zapped it.
I've made some converts to the dried peppers. So much easier to use, but devilish to prepare. Have not used any of my coriander yet, as I am not sure how. Shall I crush it, or leave the seeds whole to use? Guess I need to research it a little more.

Hope this peach tree is a little more to your liking. With the coriander seeds, what sort of food do you like ? I use the seeds in curry pastes, crusts for fish. etc. You could crush some and leave some whole.

Cleaned out my little water garden today and got the water lily settled in. I wintered it over in the heated horse tank. Cleaned up a lot of leaves with the shop vac and did some pruning. Started some lettuce. Onions are all in; kale starting to get pickable.

I've been picking lettuce and spinach from my garden. The asparagus is just starting to come up and there were 3 ready to pick. Now that was one small side dish!☺

My fruit trees are doing really well this year. Do you have any advice/experience with growing watermelon? I tried last year but they ended up tasting a lot like cucumber. Do you think they might have just been not quite ripe? They were huge though!

I think the reason watermelons have no flavor is because they get too much water while growing. They need a little neglect.
And I was told there is a male and female melon; female is supposed to be sweeter. This is new to me so I'd want to do a little more research...

I think the reason watermelons have no flavor is because they get too much water while growing. They need a little neglect.
And I was told there is a male and female melon; female is supposed to be sweeter. This is new to me so I'd want to do a little more research...
Okay thanks! If I grow more watermelons I will be sure to keep that in mind. We had a lot of rain here last year so that would make sense.

I planted them last year. I had no idea there was 3 growing under all the runners. Had I of known they were there, I prob would have watered them more. They were sweet and tasted great :)

I planted them last year. I had no idea there was 3 growing under all the runners. Had I of known they were there, I prob would have watered them more. They were sweet and tasted great :)
Okay, so why is it that if you don't water them as much they are sweeter (just curious :))? Also do you have any tips on how much would be a good amount to water them?

Im really not too sure. I was watering them alot, then I thought nothing had grown so I stopped. When I was pulling the runners out I noticed them. If your in Texas , your weathers hot all year round ? Best time to water is first thing in the morning. :)

Cherry crop was good this year. I've made a pie, frozen some, dried some, and am canning some.
The apple trees are so loaded I have had to add extra supports. Dozens and dozens have fallen off. I don't know what got into it this year.
Finishing up the asparagus; I will let the rest go to fronds now.

Attachments

• cherry pie.jpg
    cherry pie.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back