Gardening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry. The giant sunflower is tin. It goes in the garden every year. I helped judge at a Fair last week and there were two giant sunflowers entered. Also saw a field of sunflowers near us for the first time. I wonder how they are harvested?[/quote
Bummer about that sunflower lol, it looks like the real deal in the picture. I wonder if the field by you is grown for seeds or for flowers? Either way, what a happy crop to grow.
Grown for seeds. Farmers are trying all sorts of crops because the price of wheat is so low. Canola and sesame are two fairly new crops around here.

Hows your veggie Gardens going ? have they finished for the year ?
We are covered up with apples, and the yard-long green beans are doing well still. Peppers and okra still coming on. As soon as things finish, I am planning some serious work in the tires--soil amendment, compost, moving strawberries, new drip hoses...

Do you have your garden going, or is it still a little too early? I need to put in some more lettuce and kale, but I might skip it this fall as I want to do the soil work in the tires.

Sounds like its still producing lots of goodies for you.

Its a little early here to put anything in , though ive made a start with soil prep. I have had the rotary hoe out and in the garden beds turning over the soil. Ill order some Cow and chicken manure in the next couple of weeks and hopefully ( not holding my breath) the weather starts to warm up. Id like to have everything planted mid- late Oct. I find if I plant earlier , I'm not as successful due to the remaining frosts and usually have to replace a lot of the seedlings.

I am very much looking forward to it this year. I am going to enclose one of the beds so I can plant things usually eaten by the ducks and rabbits ( lettuces, Bok choy, etc)

Ill post some pics when its up and running
default_smile.png

I tried that a few years back, but because my horses are on grass , the grass seeds from the poo grew better than what the veggies. It was the biggest battle.

I think you can make it into a liquid fertilizer but I think it needs to sit for a certain period of time. ?

I compost my horse and chicken manure. By the time it is turned a couple of times and turns into dirt, it does have weeds left in it, but I have found that to be a hazard with any fresh manure I bought in the past. The bagged compost that's been cooked is the only way to avoid that, I think.

What do you plan to plant? I should be doing kale and Tom Thumb lettuce right now, but have been too discouraged to attempt. Did move all the strawberries out of the asparagus tire and into their own tire. Found a few grubs while delving and the chicks enjoyed them. Next spring, we will replace all the soaker hoses with the emitter system. The soaker hoses get clogged with minerals too quickly. We also had a few weeks of ultra high water pressure in our rural line and it blew out the timer.

So far , I will be planting tomato's, zucchini, capsicums (think you call them bell pepper),corn, spring onions, beetroot and cucumbers ( when the last of the frosts have gone)

I am enclosing one bed this year to keep the ducks and rabbits out. Ill then be able to grow lettuces, bok choy and other veggies that are a smorgasbord for the wildlife here
default_smile.png

I have some strawberries in and also some herbs in pots. Thanks for the tip re the soaker hose. I have it up my driveway, though will avoid putting in into the 3 x beds.

The weathers just starting warm up now
default_yes.gif

Long weekend here this coming weekend for the Melbourne Cup. So by the end of Tuesday, I should have all my seedlings into the ground.

My veggie beds are still not up and running , have been so busy doing other things around the place , including cleaning up so not to create hiding spots for snakes.

Had my first batch of banana passionfruit ( so good )
default_smile.png

Passionfruit.jpg

garden.jpg

Latest posts

Back