Gardening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan, I see you might be having some difficult weather in your part of the world. Heat and not enough rain. Been there and done that! And I hope that cycle doesn't happen again in my lifetime.

Yeah its starting to really heat up. We had heaps of rain this year, by March we had already had more rain than the entire 2019.

I have everything crossed that we don't get a repeat of last year 🤞 :)

How is the weather currently in Oklahoma ?

Yeah its starting to really heat up. We had heaps of rain this year, by March we had already had more rain than the entire 2019.

I have everything crossed that we don't get a repeat of last year 🤞 :)

How is the weather currently in Oklahoma ?
So glad you got rain earlier! It helps with the water table.
We have our wood stove going. Supposed to have snow, but just got a misty rain. Thank goodness no ice! Definitely going into the monochromatic colors of winter. The fields of winter wheat are greening a little, so there is a little color.
That freak ice storm the end of October ruined all the fall color, the berries on yaupons and soapberry trees, and the red of the sumac.

It sure does help. Everything seems so much greener this year. Even in parts of the country that were terribly burnt by the fires last year, so much growth which will hopefully help wildlife numbers to start increasing again.

It sure does help. Everything seems so much greener this year. Even in parts of the country that were terribly burnt by the fires last year, so much growth which will hopefully help wildlife numbers to start increasing again.
Ryan- Really glad to hear this! We had major fire damage this year in our state. We are badly in need of rain to start a process of regrowth in the mountains where we used to live.

Due to a crazy 2020 I did not plant a vegetable garden this year, by the time I got around to even thinking about it, it was a little too late. With the weather we have had this year ( very mild) I think many things would have struggled. We really haven't had a summer at all (yet). The weather forecast is predicting a hot weekend with Temps over 40 ( 104f ). In the 13 years at this property, I have never seen so much "green " throughout the place, at this time of the year. Its been a nice change from the last few years.

I was going thru a heap of trees that I have under cover (until I can get them into the ground) and I came across this one. Its native to Africa and known as a parrot plant.

Congo Plant.jpg

Due to a crazy 2020 I did not plant a vegetable garden this year, by the time I got around to even thinking about it, it was a little too late. With the weather we have had this year ( very mild) I think many things would have struggled. We really haven't had a summer at all (yet). The weather forecast is predicting a hot weekend with Temps over 40 ( 104f ). In the 13 years at this property, I have never seen so much "green " throughout the place, at this time of the year. Its been a nice change from the last few years.

I was going thru a heap of trees that I have under cover (until I can get them into the ground) and I came across this one. Its native to Africa and known as a parrot plant.

View attachment 42735
That is an odd tree. It looks sort of like a type of euphorbia.

I went into my totally enclosed garden yesterday to pick some kale. It was gone. Every plant had been nibbled down to the ground. And the tire with strawberries--every strawberry shorn to the ground. I need to set a trap in there, as it must be some kind of large rodent. Didn't bother the avocado or oregano. I have had a pack rat in the garden before, several years ago, but nothing recently.

The garden was zapped by our historic cold spell. I checked today and the peach and cherry are showing signs of life, thank goodness. Strawberries also recovering. I need to prune in the next few days. Checking the stores for onion sets. I only buy Texas Sweet variety.
There will be a lot of damage to things from the cold spell. We'll have to wait and see what comes out and what doesn't.
Nothing in the trap, so the shearing is still a mystery.

Hope the cold weather is on the way out for you !!

Not complaining as you know what kind of summer we had last year, but , we have had the coldest summer in 42 years here. I would be surprised if many things would have done every well this year.

Hope this coming summer is a great one for you and your garden :)

Latest posts

Back