Gardening question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
Is moss removable? We have a "lovely"
default_rolleyes.gif
: blanket of moss out in the front property that won't let grass grow. It's right underneath the big beautiful dogwood tree. If I were to scrape it out...it seems to come up like a carpet, would that be enough to get rid of it and be able to plant some grass seeds there? Do I need to treat the area with anything or will just removing it be enough? Anyone have experience with this kind of plant growth?

My gardener hubby says there are moss killers available at nurseries that won't hurt the tree.

MA

I try to get moss established. Why would you need to remove it? It is so beautiful in its own right. Celebrate it's beauty!

That being said...if you change the ph of the soil to less acid it should kill the moss or just scrape it out and establish it somewhere else that you like better, then change the ph and plant (ugh!) grass.

Diane in mossy Oregon

It's actually growing and spreading therefore choking the grass/lawn that's already in our front property. We have a little bit in the back pasture and we need to get rid of it there as well....otherwise it'll take over our pastures....I don't think the horses would like that. I do think it's beautiful.....just not where theres suppose to be grass/pasture/lawn growing. Now I don't mind it on some of my landscaping rocks near the pond. It can hang out there if it wants to.
default_yes.gif
: Thanks for the suggestions! :bgrin

... We have Irish Moss in the border beside the driveway here, but man does my step-dad go nuts over the regular old moss growing in the lawn!! Puts down something or another...

Sterling the cheapest safest method to kill off moss is to use IRON (ferrous sulfate). We used that in pastures as well because of the safety margin. It also can be used on sidewalks etc..................

Dogwoods like cooler damper areas so it is no surprise it has moss as a buddy, if you can get the moss to a tolerable level you might look into reseeding with either shade tolerant lawn grass or and even more fun idea :bgrin :bgrin design a shade garden under the dogwood....hostas, hakonechloa grasses, painted fern, and some moss wood give a nice cool woodland feel
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

hakonechloa_macra_aureola1.jpg

hakonechloa1.JPG

dogwood.jpg

just to give some inspiration
default_wink.png
:

Sterling the cheapest safest method to kill off moss is to use IRON (ferrous sulfate). We used that in pastures as well because of the safety margin. It also can be used on sidewalks etc..................

Dogwoods like cooler damper areas so it is no surprise it has moss as a buddy, if you can get the moss to a tolerable level you might look into reseeding with either shade tolerant lawn grass or and even more fun idea :bgrin :bgrin design a shade garden under the dogwood....hostas, hakonechloa grasses, painted fern, and some moss wood give a nice cool woodland feel
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

hakonechloa_macra_aureola1.jpg

hakonechloa1.JPG

dogwood.jpg

just to give some inspiration
default_wink.png
:
Ooohhh ahhhh now THATS beautiful!!! What a wonderful idea! We have lots of Hostas around here and altho I tried years ago putting them around the Dogwood....and they did'nt take, I think it may have been because I did'nt prep the soil and it actually could have used some more soil around it. Thanks for the iron tip...I had no idea! You know funny thing today when I went downtown, I took notice in some of the other properties and guess what? They all have patches of moss! LOL !!! Must be a "thing" in this area.

Anyway...I am inspired!!! Now I can't wait till planting season to get my moss, fairy playground going for those little woodland creatures! If I find a pic of the Dogwood tree I'll post it later on so you can see underneath it. Thanks for the help and the inspiration! :bgrin

Latest posts

Back