Gardeners, horticulturists...What are these?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
Hi, all!

My husband brought these home from a friend's house yesterday. He had a sprig of leaves but I thought I'd post a pic of the fruit to see if anyone knows the true name. A neighbor of ours had these when I was a small child and I used to love/hate to eat them...if you've tasted them you know why. Now I wonder were they poisonous? *LOL* I didn't seem to have any ill effects from them.

The people that had the tree-sized bush didn't know what it was, have owned the property for 65+ years and understood that a Chinese immigrant planted them which he had brought with him by rail in the 1800s.

They are uber-sour, these ones, but the others from my childhood seemed a little more sweetish in contrast with a strange texture. They are about half an inch to an inch long and fragile with a jellyish consistency. The pit is long, pointed, ivory colored and has grooves in it.

fruit.JPG

Hope you can clear up the mystery...

THANKS!

Liz

Hi Liz -- I am really not sure, but I would be very careful about eating them. We used to have nNghtshade around and it had red berries on it that looked pretty tempting, but of course it is deadly
default_new_shocked.gif
- I am leery of any red fruit that I do not know specifically if it is OK because there are a lot of poisonous red berries out there.

Stacy

Hi Liz, I'm thinking they might be Goji berries? Goji berries have a sour/sweet taste, are used primarily in China and are grown on bushels. Kinda looks like them to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what my husband thought (Goji berries).

We ate a few, my youngest at some and the people that live there say they have been eating them all their lives.

I am finding something similar on Google that says it is a brush cherry...?

Of course my youngest threw up this morning, so now I am even more suspicious!!!

Thanks, everyone...keep the replies coming if you recognize them.

Liz

Latest posts

Back