Garden Progress Anyone?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
How is everyone's gardens coming so far? Mine was a late starter, but most everything I planted is doing what I want it to. I have a write up with photos on my blog: Link to blog/garden entry

It is also my first year planting/growing here where we moved also, but I must say, my horse manure compost has made for the sweetest, most juicy tomatoes i've ever tasted in my life
default_yes.gif
. The rest of the veggies seem to be liking it also, although I wish my carrots, broccoli and cauliflower would get a move on
default_biggrin.png

Anyone want to share pics/stories? I for one can't wait until next year. On top of the main gardens, i'm going to try container gardening as a landscaping venture/edible scenery source
default_biggrin.png

:Kim

Lets see... Spring Peas are all but done.. have a lot stored now..though not quite as much as I was hoping for. So planted some more pea seeds. Carrots, beans, corn and broccoli doing very well. Pumpkin is taking over the garden. Tomatos, peppers and egg plant are growing but nothing ripe yet. Still waiting on the potato plants to flower. Need to replant spinach, lettuce and such for the fall garden.

Will bore you with all the photos...

peas.jpg

greenbeans.jpg

waxbeans.jpg

corn is a lot taller than it looks..pumpkin plant is giant...can see carrots peaking out from underneth

pumpkin.jpg

baby pumpkin

babypumpkin.jpg

broc.jpg

We are hoping to extend our harvest by putting up a green house using a metal car port frame you get at costco.. and then buying the clear plastic sheets. Hope to get it done before winter!

And you are right.. nothing better than fresh home grown food!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got in, and Shari-I would never get bored with your photos. Excellent job, and keep up the good work, Peas are on my list for next year. I've had so much on my plate this year, I have what I have. I'm envious. Kudos
default_wink.png

I'm off to bed now--may be working in the A.M.

We have two small veggie gardens that are holding up surprisingly well with all the rain! We have 3-4 different types of peppers, tomatoes, TONS of basil, purple potatoes, cucumbers, and zucchini.

And we discovered another unintentional 'garden' in the pony poo pile!!!!!!!!
default_wacko.png
They look like cucumbers plants growing right out of the pile. Nobody can figure out what they are.

Looks like everyone has nice gardens, next year I have to remember to grow carrots for the girls.

We are hoping to extend our harvest by putting up a green house using a metal car port frame you get at costco.. and then buying the clear plastic sheets. Hope to get it done before winter!

Oh, that is an EXCELLENT idea!
default_aktion033.gif
I'll have to ask my hubby if he wants to try that here too. Our weather stayed chilly for so long this spring, everything got a slow start, so we are only just now getting tomotoes ripening, but there are tons on the plants. I'd hate to lose them all to an early frost!

We have just tomatoes, corn, and zucchini this year, with a few other things that may not mature in time to be harvested. Having home-grown tomatoes just can't be beat!
default_biggrin.png

Shari, your plants look so healthy!!! I wish I had more of a green thumb...altho we got a pretty good yield, I lost my squash and pumkin plants. Don't know what happened. They started out real strong, and went downhill from there. Found some interesting info tho....the flowers were'nt getting pollinated and the flowers were just dropping off. I should have just used the flowers in salads or soup or something. But .....all was not lost! We had hoards of grape tomatoes, bush beans, green onions, am waiting on carrots, and we've harvested one Sugar Baby watermelon so far....Musk Melons are growing too. So all in all it was a pretty cool growing season. Next year I'd like to do peas....is there a bush variety?

Here are some of my pics.... Oh and the Sunflowers are AWESOME!!! We had them grow over 12 feet!!

Bush Beans

BshBeans.jpg

Bush Beans, grape tomotos and green onions

IMG_4586.jpg

Sugarbaby watermelon

sugarbby.jpg

Sunflower

sunflwrBee.jpg

Thanks Sterling....but sadly this morning I found out the Gopher has decided my nice carrots taste good. Sigh ~~ So much for all my root veggies. Need to find a way to get the wee beastie out of there!

Looks like you are also doing good in the Veggie department! And a Watermelon already!! Don't think I am going to get any watermelons this year. Love the Sun flower... will have to plant some next year.

Peas... they are kind inbetween a pole and bush.. they do best if they have something to climb on. I am using two hog panels...long ways and zip tied together at the top..rather like a long teepee tunnel. This photo was taken early in the season but you can see the hog panels behind the bean poles.

gardenjune08a.jpg

If you get yours put up Magic... post a photo!!

Latest posts

Back