Gaining Weight????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayleighsMom

Reaction score
Hi...

I was given a mare that is really down!!! She needs to put on some weight. What is the best way to do it, and what should i start feeding her? Ive been giving her "weight gainer" and I really havent seen much of a result yet? Is there anything else I can put into her food? Im feeding her Horsemans Edge 12%.

Thanks!!

One thing you need to remeber is to give more feed and different feed even slowly. Like give an extra cup everyother day if needed. I think the best feed right now IMO would be hay, some nice free choice grass hay. I'm not familiar with your grain but IMO for a good weight building feed is Omelane 200, its a sweet grain and I just love it.

Whatever changes you do, do it gradually over a week or more. This includes increasing her hay to free choice.

I'm going to suggest a different grain, although there's nothing wrong with Omelene products. Check out the Purina Senior grain, or the equivilent, if you can't get Purina. It has all sorts of vitamins, minerals, higher protien, and higher FAT content. It's also very easily digestable, so she will process it easier. But whatever grain you go to - switch her over slowly with your own and then gradually increase the amount.

For a "hard keeper" mini or for lactating mares, we feed between 4 to 6 cups twice a day.

Another product to consider is beet pulp.......but I'll let someone else who uses it regularly give you that advice.

MA

Actually if you want a horse to gain weight use the Omelene 200 or Stratagy. The Senior Feed is designed to keep an aged horse "in weight" but to not gain weight because it is formulated to deal with/ward off metabolic disorders aged horses often have. The Senior label states that you may have to feed more of it in order for a horse to gain weight. Omelene and Stratagy have more fat per serving.

I use beet pulp as a way to get bloom on a horse. I feed two/three parts water to one part beet pulp then serve it with the grain rations. Allow 3-6 weeks to see measurable results no matter what product you select. It is safe to increase rations by 1/3 each week until desired results are achieved. However, as with people, being a little lean is better than being a little heavy.

Hope this helps a little.

Do you know what she was being fed before you got her??

How tall is she, what does she weigh now??

How old is she, has she had her teeth floated, is she on a sensible deworming routine??

Is she is foal??

Is she UTD on her shots??

Have you had a Vet see her??

If she is emaciated I would not advise free choice hay, if she is just thin, free choice grass hay will be fine, but all the other factors are relevant and I would not want to give advice without knowing all the answers.
default_yes.gif
:

I wouldn't try and add weight with a sweet feed. If you can switch to a good quality complete feed pellet, and take it gradually in upping the amount, I think you will be pleased.

Here are some links to check out on nutrition and hay quality descriptions and a site that explains rehabiltating horses that have been starved and what the dangers are and what studies they have done. It is on big horses, but it will give you an idea of things. Someone should do a site like that referencing mini's. Not all vets advise the same way either so if you don't feel good about one vet, then call a couple more and see what they have experienced. Good luck!

http://www.kingstons.net.au/category60_1.htm

http://home.att.net/~horsenutrition101/hay.html

http://www.completerider.com/starvedhorse.htm

How are her teeth? And how old is she? What works to put weight on a young horse will not necessarily work on an older one. I got an older mare a few years ago, and after having her teeth checked, went to the equine nutritionist who explained that the higher protein feeds etc that work on younger horses are not metabolized the same way in an older animal. She had me start this older girl on high fat high fibre pllets, and said you can feed a fair bit of it (remember to build up slowly whatever you use) with almost no risk of colic. It worked beautifully, and she gained steadily until she was in beautiful shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shes 3 years old, she got an awful underbite, but ive watched her eat and she doesnt drop alot of food. I have no idea what she was on , she was dropped off at a friend of mines place, for boarding and the people never came back, (such a shame) She is UTD on shots as of a week ago, but other than that, shes a happy lil girl, that knows no enemies, I just wanna make her look a bit better!

Thanks to everyone for responding

As others have suggested, make sure she has been dewormed and certainly have her teeth floated. With an underbite, she may have more trouble chewing. I would feed her a pelleted ration and something that is high in fat. If you need to, you can add a fat supplement to her diet such as those made by Buckeye and Progressive. I have had very good luck putting weight on horses with alfalfa and beet pulp too. If she's really poor, consider giving her something like Red Cell for awhile.

I bought a mare in terrible condition a little over a year ago. She was so thin and weak, I wasn't sure she would make it. I pretty much gave her a smorgasboard of food. A bucket of this; a bucket of that. Both grass hay and alfalfa hay. She wasn't interested in eating much at first. She was depressed and just stood in her stall with her head hanging. I syringed Red Cell into her daily. She picked at her feed for the first week. One day she decided to start eating and from then on she kept eating and never looked back.

Good luck with your mare!

You have had some wonderful suggestions but my husband insisted I post and tell you if you want one to gain weight just send it here. Seems all of mine are borderline too fat. LOL

Shes 3 years old, she got an awful underbite, but ive watched her eat and she doesnt drop alot of food. I have no idea what she was on , she was dropped off at a friend of mines place, for boarding and the people never came back, (such a shame) She is UTD on shots as of a week ago, but other than that, shes a happy lil girl, that knows no enemies, I just wanna make her look a bit better!

Thanks to everyone for responding
The poor thing to be abandoned! :no:

As was mentioned, the underbite could be preventing her from chewing her food properly. She needs feed that is easily digested, such as a pelletted or extruded ration. Soaking it before she eats it would possibly make it easier for her too.

Good luck with her.

Latest posts

Back