Fybroid Tumors....anyone have experience with them?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms THE

Reaction score
I have had a string of health problems, hypothyroid, depression, bad breakup (I think the thyroid problem caused the depression that led to the breakup
default_sad.png
). Anyway, I finally went for my "annual" (which I haven't gone for in 6 years) and they sent me for an ultrasound yesterday. I was told by the US tech that I have fybroid tumors, but she could not tell me anything else. I was told to call my Dr in 3 business days. I am freaking out as I do not know the extent of them or what they will do to remove them. Anyone with experience?

First don't panic! Fibroids are rarely cancerous.

If they were in your uterus it's a very common thing.Many women have them and never know it.Typically they cause no problems and they shrink as you enter menopause.

The most common problems they cause is heavy menstral flow and pain.

In some women they can cause challenges if they grow large.They can make you look pregnant.

Very rarely they can cause trouble with conceiving.

In most cases nothing needs to be done about them.If they are cause problems with your period the doctor might put you on birth control pills to lighten the bleeding.In more extreme situations a hysterectomy may be in order.I think there is a newer,less drastic treatment available too but I don't recall what it is.

I second Izzy..Been there about 18 years ago. Was so anemic from heavy bleeding that I had to have 2 pints of blood before they did my hysterectomy. Fibroids run in my family so I shouldn't have been surprised. Everyone else was just shocked that I was still walking ,much less working 12 hour days. There are a lot of new treatments now where radical surgery can be avoided. Good luck Cheryl

Oh shame on you for waiting so long for a checkup! (I'm sure you already heard that from the Dr)

They are not usually serious but can cause the problems as listed above and make you miserable!

You can find a lot of info on the internet, that will put you at ease with the results- I am surprized that the tech told you ANYTHING! They are NOT supposed to as they are not a Dr at ALL!!!

I know, I put my health on hold, I was depressed due to relationship and thyroid problems. I am getting everything in order now. I have had problems with my periods for years, but it has gotten much worse, heavy and painful. The tech only said something because she took an hour doing the ultrasound as she was trying to measure the size of them. She wouldn't say anything else, I think she only told me that because I was nervous she was taking so long. I am only 32 and want to have children in the near future (when I find the right person).

Back