Fungus???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharipeewee

Reaction score
My mini JoJo is losing her coat on her face, she sends to be scratching it on anything she can find so I know it itches. Is there anything I can put on her that may help? I really don't see raised skin where she had lost her coat so I'm not sure if she has a fungus or not. I have my suspicions she may or may not be pregnant. It was 1 yr ago this week that the stallion left the pasture she's in. If she's not, well she's quite chubby and I will have to put her on a serious diet! Any help about the skin issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You might ask your vet about a cortizone shot. Tell him she might be in foal. Sometimes there isn't much that can be done about the skin thing, but here are a few things to try.
Bathe with Selsun Blue. Let it stand on her for a few minutes before rinsing.
Use a fly sheet; I've had good luck with Tough 1.
Put her in the shade during the day.
I like the Equine Sun Visor; it has UV protection. It might be sun sensitivity. https://www.equinesunvisor.com/
I clipped my horse this past week; I am in SW OK. He will have plenty of time to grow a new coat before it is cold. You might try clipping her.

Have you considered mites? They will cause all the symptoms you describe.Mites, fleas, and lice are ecumenical critters. They visit well cared for animals, and clean barns along with the rest. Unless you are looking they can be hidden even with a good grooming. In a way I hope it is one of these three pests, because it's a cheap fix that won't harm a pregnant mare or the foal. I hope it all works out!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back