Functional Heart Murmur

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justjinx

Reaction score
We just found out that one of our stallion prospects (my sister's), a yearling black & white homozygous stallion, has a functional heart murmur.
no.gif
Activity will affect his heart and this may be hereditary. Knowing this, he will have to be gelded and probably sold as a pasture pet.

Has anyone else had a mini diagnosed with this or know of any particular lines carrying this gene?

Just curious as I know heart murmurs are common in newborn minis.

Thanks in advance! jennifer
saludando.gif

heart murmurs are common in many young animals. We see lots of animals with them that grow out of it. not much experience with it in horses.

No in a mini, however probably my most talented eventer was found to have one. I did in the end give him away to a forever home for gentle hacking out, under my vets advice. Not sure if it was heriditroy but the line he came from has a bit of a black reputation. The sire was gifted to another country and died 2 day after landing in the new country. All sorts of other inury related problems with the offpring.

Latest posts

Back