Fun Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
If you were having a small Fair miniature horse show (15 classes) is there a good way to fit one

driving class into the show.

Personally, I would have some concerns with youth and adults in the same class, for safety reasons.

Has anyone seen it done, and what were the ground rules?

The "safety" comes in having drivers, no matter what age, that know what they're doing! My granddaughter is 8 and she can drive as good or better than some adult beginners.

If it is a fun show, a driving gaming class is always fun, a safe alternative to to having many people in the ring at one time.

If you go with a traditional class and you will have multiple drivers in the ring at one time, of different experience levels, use it as a schooling approach and ask for drivers to meet ringside or in the center of the ring with their horses and carts before the class actually is in "go" mode.someone can give them a basic rundown, like watching for the cue to cut across when getting too close to another driver and what the class will cosist of.....approx so many times at a walk, a trot, working trot, reversal, center of the ring, backing on judges command, stay approx x distance from other drivers at all time.....

I know it is not the coordinator of the shows responsability to do this, however, if you are having multiple drivers of varying ages and experience in the ring at one time, it is a great chance to educate individuals and makes for a better experience. Many mistakes are made, not because individuals are rude, but rather because they do not know otherwise.

Maybe have an easy obstacle driving class? (or similar) so that they have their "go" one at a time?

Our state fair has 1 Mini driving class.This year there were 26 in the class.All age drivers-no problem.

The sanctioned shows have open driving classes, which are open to drivers of all ages--and no one questions the safety. I'm not sure that AB open show would be any different, or more likely to be dangerous, unless one expects that an open show would attract more inexperienced drivers....or more people who wouldn't have the sense to not enter anyone in a driving class if the driver is not capable. If the age differences are a concern perhaps ask for two classes, obe for youth one for adults. In the show program one extra class shouldn't be a huge deal.

Back