Fun managable # of mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
What do you feel is a managable # of mini's while still being able to spend time with each one and have fun with them? (not for business/breeding purpose, just family pets, mild showing et).

Well, between three people we have 16 horses total. 9 minis, a shetland and 6 big horses. I personally have four - one mini, the shetland and two horses. It's pretty manageable.

The lady I bought Eowyn from has 10 minis and 7 Arabian big horses. I have 5 horses total. 4 big horses and a mini. Plus the other farm animals and though I'm the only one who works on the farm and takes care of the animals, I still feel like I would be able to take care of more. It depends on how much land you have and how many people are participating on the farm and helping out =)

I have 3 and am happy. I would never have more than 4 even if I had more land. Too much poop to pick up
default_biggrin.png

For me I think I could handle about 10-20 , but I'm still young. Of course it would depend on how much pasture I had along with funding!

I think a lot depends on your job/school situation and what your goals are with your horses. When I was in high school we had 10: 5 of which were driving horses, and we showed 8 of the 10 regularly. However, once in college that was way too much for us. My parents now have 3 driving horses and a Jr. halter horse. I have 2 driving minis and an Arab riding horse. I could not handle/work more than 3 now to the level and intensity that I am used to (3-4x/week) dang PhD work and a non-horsey husband limit my barn time. So I think it's all about being honest about how much time you have and what your goals are.

I learned that 4 is my magic number. We had taken on 2 more in the spring of 2011. After a little more than a year and lots of issues that stemmed from the newcomers, I realized I had 2 too many. I was lucky to be able to rehome them with a neighbor (they live a mile down our road and I drive by them all the time). The only caveat I made was that if for some reason it didn't work out, they would contact me first. They've been there since Labor Day and are thriving. Things have calmed down here as well and my remaining 4 seem happier. I know I'm happier and don't feel as stressed. You wouldn't think that just 2 more would make such a difference, but it did.

I strongly feel that it depends on your available funds, space (pasture, barn/stalls), time commitment, and level of dedication. These factors can make that magic number a couple to a whole bunch!

While my sister-in-law and I own a goodly number together (right around 20), that number is very dependent on the above. We cannot (and will not) take on more than we have the funds, space and time to dedicate to them. If any one of those factors is missing, we are doing our animals a disservice.

So, bottom line, I think that the manageable number - being able to keep it fun - is different for everyone!

Depends on your circumstances. I currently have five and I think I could handle one or two more. I have the room but right now the pocketbook and hubby say "no". My hubby helps me and we are retired so have the time to spend with them
default_smile.png

Entirely depends on your time, your age, your finances, and where you live. We have 5 acres with unlimited number specified for animals. We own 4 at present but as of this year I sent the Shetland out to a boarding farm because he is so messy and high energy and if I want to spend time with him I have no indoor. My three minis are not too hard for me to take care of at my age yet ( late 60s) but when I had 2 of the horses at a trainers and only 2 left here last Sept., it sure was nice. I could spend time with them; I didn't feel over worked; and actually felt like messing with them more.

We ( me and granddaughter age 8) showed all 4 of them last year with the help of Jason Prince mostly with the Shetland. All 4 drive, one was costume, one is our "performance" horse, and three showed halter. We ended the season with a total of 11 All Star Awards and 1 HOF and several placings at Nationals.

I have two but it doesn't feel like enough...darn potato chips you can't have just one or two
default_smile.png
I feel like 3 can't be much different than 2 so I'm working on a new addition.

I own 7.

2 mature stallions

4 sr mares

1 jr mare

I mix and match showing them yr from yr and cart one for fun on the rds. I do breed & show them, but not on a big scale... just enjoy them.

I also raise mini cochin chickens (approx 45) and netherland dwarf bunnys (6). I also raise/breed Iris flowers and honestly, there's where my #'s are... into the thousands!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it is 10, I love my herd and count my blessings every time I look out into my paddock. But I am only 45 and can handle it now. I figure as I get older I'll have less. I have to keep it manageable.

It is all a matter of the time and money you want to commit to the animals. Having had a large number and now only having a much smaller herd. I can tell you that yes you tend to be more involved with each horse, but the smaller number reduces the "projects" you can undertake and it not take a month of sudays to see good or bad results from the different crosses of bloodlines and individuals.
default_giveup.gif

So I guess what I am saying is it is up to the individual what the short and long range goals they have. A perfect example is that several years ago, we were approached about selling one of our stallions. The price was 6 figures and very attractive. I ask Cindy what did she want to do? She simply ask me "are you in it for the money or in it for the long haul". We kept the stallion, more than likely a mstake in some folks eyes, but the right one for us! Sometimes I think I might be just a little bit crazy! LOL
default_frusty.gif

You will know when you have reached your limit and no longer are enjoying your horses as much as you once did!!! Thats the time to cut back.
default_thumbup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 2 then added a third. The difference is more than I thought. My farrier charges $40 per horse to trim so instead of $80 for two it goes to $120 for three !!!!! That's every 7 weeks.

Then the amount of poop I pick up seems like way more than 2 !! Seems like all I do is clean up after them.

I love my 3 girls but don't know of I can keep up. I am 55.

I think all of us will have a different answer and there is no right number. It all depends on what you want to be doing with your time and how much time you have to devote to your horses. I don't think it depends on your age because I'm older and don't mind the work at all. Age is just a number. I do think you have to take in consideration the room you have but more importantly I think you need to consider your finances. Farrier, vet visits, supplies, feed and other incidentals add up quickly. For some of us, two will be the right number and others of us will be able to handle many more. Just a personal decision and I think you'll know when you reach your limit.

I too agree with what others have said, that it really all depends on finances, age, time, space, etc.

In my opinion, if you have so many horses that you cannot go out everyday, walk among them, put your hands on them, get down on their level and check them over, and to know each one individually then you have too many. If your horses manes are dreadlocked, because you don't have time to groom them, you have too many. If you give your horses the bare minimum, and you can't provide much else for the number you have, you have too many. If you have overcrowded, overgrazed pastures and no where else to turn them out, you have too many. If you have every stall filled, with horses sharing stalls, horses living in the aisle way, IMO you have to many.

I currently own 2, a mare and a gelding, and both live in a tiny barn out back behind the house. I think I could handle a few a more, but I know logically I can't. While I am 17 and active, I would be afraid I would not have the time for more than 3 horses at this time, should I add another into the group. I run all day between school, my personal life, and taking care of the horses every possible need, I don't have time for much else. In addition to all of this, I am also getting ready to leave for college, training my gelding, working my mare, and applying for jobs. So by the time I factor all of this in, especially if/when I get a job, I fear I would be running 23 of the 24 hours of the day. A third horse, I could do it I think, not much different from the two I already have and have been caring for and managing myself, with help from no one, for the past 4 and a half years. Anymore than 3, there'd be no way. As well, as I have gotten older, and begun to realize there are other things in life than running around with a herd of pretty ponies, there are many other factors in the care of horses. I do not have the room for a 3rd horse. I barely have the room for the 2 I have. I would love an arena, a round pen with good footing, but if I expand my facilities, then I lose pasture, so it's a lose lose scenario. So in light of this, the third horse would need to be boarded out, hopefully at some place very close. But that is another cost, among other horse expenses.

Well, that was very long winded.

I think in the end, it all comes down to the amount of money you can afford to spend on care, including supplies, shavings, feed, vet farrier, trailers, training, shelters, fencing, barns, the amount of time you can give them, your experience level, and age. If you beging to feel overwhelmed, or that you can't spend much time with the horses because you're always feeding and cleaning, then I think you can easily tell when you have too many. Eventually, you will find a happy medium with a herd that's perfect for you, and your situation.

Dan.

Some excellent answers, it is based on a person by person scenario. Just food for thought on a different aspect, three is a nice number if you like to take one to a show or out driving and so on, or if you alternate what horses you take away from the property. The bond is shared between three, if you remove one, they don't freak as much if the remaining horse has company and isn't screaming to high heaven for them to comeback. I have noticed it isn't nessecarily the horse being worked with that freaks out, it is the one who's mind is left unoccupied and left behind that goes bonkers, if there are three, the anxiety of the remaining horse is somewhat alleviated.

I am down to one miniature horse and two Icelandic's. And 3 are more than enough for me.

Latest posts

Back