Fun Horse Facts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
In references to miniature horses according to Wikipedia, “The oldest living horse on record was a miniature horse affected by dwarfism named Angel who lived with the Horse Protection Society of North Carolina and lived to be over 50.”

WOW! There is hope for my dwarf Thunder! 💕 I keep telling my hubby if Thunder makes it to 5 years old we will be doing good! 🤣🤣 Everything after 5 yrs will just be icing on the cake!!

Do you have any FUN HORSE FACTS??!

Last edited:
That is an amazing fact and when Thunder turns 5 you need to remind us so we can all have cake! 🤣

Currently we have one big horse, a BLM Mustang adopted in 1991, who was around 8 at the time and is currently pushing 40.

What is the average “old” for minis, I wonder? My oldest mini, Dreamer, was 34 when he passed away and Buddy was 30. So maybe 30ish?

Love to hear about the ‘old timers’!

I thought Comanche, the horse that survived Custer's Last Stand, lived to be 60.
Go, Thunder, go!!

Commanche can be viewed to this day, at Dyche Hall, U Kansas. He was said to be 29 when he colicked out at Ft Riley, Kansas, where his remaining days were lived in comfort. Horses which were uninjured from the battle are thought to have been taken by the Indian band. They left Commanche who took seven gunshots in the battle and who, though standing, was judged to be near death. Sgt Rivers, farrier for Company One of the Seventh Cavalry saved him however..
https://www.sdpb.org/blogs/images-o... 7, 1891, Comanche,and pride by every soldier.

Fun fact and silly law in NC:

"Elephants may not be used to plow cotton fields in the state of North Carolina."

They didn't want to put horse and mule breeders out of business???🤔🤨

In Wilbur, Washington, it is illegal to ride an ‘ugly horse.’ Do so and you risk a $300 fine. Who defines "ugly"?

Horses in Burns, Oregon, are allowed into the town’s taverns with their owner — provided their owner has paid for their admission, of course. Do mares get in free before 10:00 p.m.?

We have alot of civil war history in north Georgia and there is a large battlefield close by with lots of hiking and some equestrian trails. I attached an article that talks about how strongly bonded the soldier and rider were during the war and I like that there are monuments out there that remind us of the brave horses that had no choice but to carry their riders into battle. This isn’t really a “fun fact” but nice to know that the horses are thought of as well. For The Love of Horses and History — National Park Partners

I got into miniature horses after visiting a place in Louisiana that had a new miniature foal and then read about leader horses for the blind. Because the infringement to leader dogs the changed the name to guide horse for the blind or something close. I didn't save the information but found this which is only a small amount of information in detail. The mini age range is the same.
Miniature Guide Horses for the Blind

I got into miniature horses after visiting a place in Louisiana that had a new miniature foal and then read about leader horses for the blind. Because the infringement to leader dogs the changed the name to guide horse for the blind or something close. I didn't save the information but found this which is only a small amount of information in detail. The mini age range is the same.
Miniature Guide Horses for the Blind
A great article Dickel. I may not agree with "not addicted to human attention, so they are content with little affection for their owners." 🤣 or
Maybe it's me that can't live without minis attention and affection.🤣🥰

A great article Dickel. I may not agree with "not addicted to human attention, so they are content with little affection for their owners." 🤣 or
Maybe it's me that can't live without minis attention and affection.🤣🥰

My thought also of course there is always the exception. I know all of the horses I have or have had all have their own personality. When Misty hears my wheelchair she calls out to me before she can see me. It would take all day to name all the little personal details they show.

Latest posts

Back