Frustrated Horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
Our one ten year old gelding has started giving us troubles off and on in the past year. We had his teeth thoroughly done by an equine Dentist (that helped a couple things). But he is erratic in his performance in harness. One time he goes fine, the next he fusses or totally refuses to do anything you ask correctly or at all.
default_frusty.gif
We don't show extensively or ask him to work at home to an extreme. At our club show in July he was good as gold. Two weeks later at our county fair he refused to do anything right. He is a very bright horse with an independent streak. It was suggested that perhaps he is burnt out with circling an arena.
default_xkngt.gif
And maybe we should try other things with him as well such as halter obstacle skills, jumping, tricks, etc. Keep things interesting. Sounds like a plan. My husband wants this horse for part of a team; but with him like this it's not happening-and it'll ruin the other horse if he pulls his shenanigans when they are hitched.
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
Any additional ideas or offerings?

Any chance he has ulcers? I've read a horse with ulcers can have erratic performance, and that might be the only symptom you see/notice.

Being bored with basic arena work is entirely possible.

Do you have a place where you could do a trail ride? That can be a good break from circling the arena.

Are you lucky enough to have a chiropractor (SP) anywhere near you? I have heard repeatedly that minis, especially driving minis, needs to be checked out. I wish we had one anywhere close to us, I have a driving horse and sure would have a treatment done on him. Perhaps something gets out of place now and then,

Pam

Are you lucky enough to have a chiropractor (SP) anywhere near you? I have heard repeatedly that minis, especially driving minis, needs to be checked out. I wish we had one anywhere close to us, I have a driving horse and sure would have a treatment done on him. Perhaps something gets out of place now and then,

Pam
That is what I was going to suggest.

Chiropracter is a good idea, just need the funds. I cost my hubby more than the horses all the time for medical.
default_thumbdown.gif
We only have 3.5 acres total with just field around and very busy road. There are some trails to haul to not too far from hear; but I don't like them because they have a big creek and a few ugly boggy (marshy)areas off to the side. I have kind of a water phobia-so those trails don't suit me much. My favorite trails are about 25 minutes away via the Interstate. They are nicely groomed and a pretty ride. Not real long-so nice when we can go.

My horse had a problem one year, he was declining in performance. We thought it was ulcers but he was cleared. He wasn't even eating his grain. We changed grains and he improved a lot. The next year he even placed top 10 at Nationals in a huge western class, he even got his HOF in Obstacle. After that I decided he earned some time off. He only showed at two shows this year, one show he did draft, and the next he did chariot and both he did a hunter class and he is done for the year. Next year he will come back out with limited showing in draft and hunter. He is still showing great!

Latest posts

Back