Frozen, canned or fresh?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
What do you prefer when it comes to veggies and why? I was raised on canned veggies and I am trying to make the change to fresh. But it's so easy just to open that can lol :DOH! I really like the idea of fresh though and I hear it is much healthier since the nutrients haven't been cooked out.

Hubby was laughing at me because I bought some fresh green beans and didn't know if I was supposed to cut off both ends
default_rolleyes.gif
hehehehe his Mom is a great cook and gets everything fresh where as my Mom was a single Mom just trying to keep us from starving.

What do you guys prefer?

Frozen. It's easier for me. I like to be able to store them in my freezer and have at 'em when I want them. Canned is ok when I'm in a pinch...but unless you get the no salt ones they're high in sodium...then the no salt ones taste horrible...bleh....
default_shutup.gif
. I do fresh once ina while.....but they go by so fast and then I have to make another trip out to purchase some more. Frozen is easier for me. They last forever and you get the next best thing to fresh taste wise.

Actually the frozen or canned are fresher than the fresh ones you buy at the store. They are frozen and canned right away. The ones from the store have sat around for a while. If you can buy from a farmer or fresh fruit stand you will get better vedgies. At least fresher ones. I like certain things canned, but there is more choices in the frozen vedgie section. i still like to buy fresh broccoli, cauliflour, and asparagus though. For the best nutrients you should plant a small garden and pick what you want fresh each day. Not everything you want will grow in your local garden, but it does help and things taste so good from the garden!

I planted a small garden this year for the first time in a long time. I have beans, corn, tomatos, green peppers, and squash. I also planted basil and dill. I love fresh basil in just about everything! i also put in some cucombers, watermellon and cantalope, but I don't know if that is going to work or not. Nothing is ready yet and I go out to check on it and my mouth waters!

I like most things fresh or frozen. The one thing that I love canned is green beans. They just taste better with all the preservatives!
default_smile.png

I like fresh first and then canned. I really don't like the mushy texture of frozen when they are cooked.

lilhorselady they do not use preservativies in canned veggies other than salt and you can now buy them without salt or low salt.

Last edited by a moderator:
We prefer fresh, then frozen......rarely canned.

Nutritionists say for vitamin content to do the same as I listed as well........

Fresh!!!!!

Frozen is marginal, but if we don't have fresh (preferably home grown), we do without.

Growing up, my mother served canned veggies, and I thought she was trying to poison me. I was bullheaded from dayone, so I went to bed early many, many nights for refusing to eat my vegetables. (Especially when I informed her that creamed corn had already been eaten and thrown up...)

Imagine my surprise when I discovered fresh veggies -- especially fresh spinach! Lo and behold, I loved them! Nowadays, my mother would never, ever serve or eat canned...

Fresh, then frozen, rarely canned.

We are buying those steamers when they are on sale. They are so easy, just put the entire bag in the microwave and nuke it. Don't even have to poke a hole in the bag, can't get any easier than that.

Most definately fresh, then frozen...can is last resort.

There is nothing better than fresh green beans, corn, or asparagus!
default_eat.gif
I could live off it if it was available all the time. I can not touch canned asparagus
default_smileypuke.gif

Fresh for me...ours come as fresh as they can, straight from the garden or local farm. I've never ever had any canned vegetables and it's deffo something I'm not willing to try. Seems a bit weird to me. We rarely, if ever have frozen vegetables.

Frozen...unless they are right out of the garden fresh not supermarket fresh.

we love the fresh stuff here but i will do all

we just planted our garden so we cant wait for the fresh stuff to come in.

i will be puting up vegs for a long time. we hope for them to get us thru the winter and we will do the same next year
default_biggrin.png

Well my green beans turned out great last night! Hubby approved even though I didn't put garlic cloves in them like his Mom does (I'm not big on fresh garlic).

It is funny to me how in our adult lives, we continue the same habits as our parents. Unless we make a conscious effort to change, things remain the same. I even see this with my husband and the way he does things. His Mom "surprisingly" does them too
default_yes.gif
I think my Mom did get frozen veggies sometimes but my Dad is king of canned. So a couple of years ago I started getting yellow and green squash to steam. Then I started getting fresh asparagus. And now we have added green beans to our list
default_yes.gif

There is nothing in the world so good as a vegetable that slept last night in the garden! Truly fresh beans and peas are so tasty, it seems a shame to cook them.

Incredibly, we are already picking cherry tomatoes and cucumbers (we cheated, and started the plants in the greenhouse.) If I could only grow veg as well as I can grow weeds, I'd be doing something!

Fresh as much as possible, then frozen if caught in a pinch, and only "canned" if we or someone we know did "canning" the old fashioned way, like my Grandma used to do, straight from her garden. Hubby's aunt still does this, so we do have canned veggies from time to time, from her garden. But we try to stay away from "store bought" canned, if/when possible.
default_yes.gif

I'm a regular visitor to the Farmer's Market most every Saturday morning. I have 2 vendors that I regularly buy from and they grow some of the best veggies around.

In fact will be heading there bright and early Saturday morning. I usually buy extra and then I freeze what I don't prepare within a couple of days. Always have plenty of purple hull peas, okra, green peppers, onions, green beans to last most of the winter that way--OOPS almost forgot the corn on the cob(ettes)

Was not able to get there early this year so missed out on the fresh asperagus (sp)
default_no.gif
as it is only available for a couple of weeks.

If I can't get fresh then frozen it is. Only canned stuff I buy is usually kraut, tomato sauce, and staples such as mayo, mustard and the like.

FARMER'S MARKET HERE I COME
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back