From your experience on Solid Color Halter Class.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHunterHorseFan

Reaction score
When you have shown or have watched others that have shown, what color did most of the top placing horses have in Solid Color Halter?

buckskin, sorrel and black in that order.
default_wub.png

Good luck with it!

I pretty much agree with John. But I have seen blacks almost sweep at Nationals and I've seen one judge who obviously loved the palominos. But in general, sorrels, blacks and buckskins do the best. I'm not sure in what order. A shiney, very healthly looking coat really does a lot for a horse in color class. I haven't seen it at Nationals yet, but at an area show the judge (one of our forum posters!
default_aktion033.gif
) actually came around to every horse after we'd stopped walking and looked closely at the coats. I was impressed with how much thought and effort the judge was giving the class.

I've seen buckskins, blacks, really dappled silver dapples do well. My golden palomino BTU son (show gelding) hasn't shown a lot (but gets grands/supremes when he does) and so far, he's been the one to beat when he goes into solid color. He is the most golden palomino I've seen
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Black is a national top 10 color horse
default_smile.png
And when I was showing Crunch (a true grey) he won every time I entered him. His daughter Promise won solid color mare at the World Show last year and she is also a true grey. A true grey horse is so striking!

Our buckskin mare does very well in Solid color. I think she was only beaten 1 time in it last year. My dark silver bay mare(in my avatar) is usually right behind the buckskin and has done her fair share of winning as a solid color horse as well. Blacks always do well. And last weekend, a cremello actually took first under 2 judges in a full Solid color class at an AMHR show.

From our experiance with our horses, our buckskin and silver bay have been our 2 most consistent placing Solid color horses.

~Jen~

From a local/small show standpoint, a lot of roans actually won around here. True roans. Then usually followed by buckskin, palamino, and silvers.
default_biggrin.png

My silver dapple gelding with flaxen mane and tail always does well in solid color class. Last year at the Area II show in a class full of buckskins and blacks he took 1st place. I think it just depends on what color that particular judge likes.

Tammie~

Thanks for all the replies. I am putting my silver dapple, Captain in solid color on Sunday at Conroe. Its his first halter class so I'm excited.
default_yes.gif
We're also putting Rage our silver dapple and white pinto in multi color and ammy. His first halter classes too.

I had a chance to talk to 2 judges last year about how color classes (solid and multi) were judged. The end result was.... the judge will pick which ever horse they like, it is all strictly personal preference. So, I shy away from them now.

Nice tread - I am curious what others experiences have been with Perlino's?

I have a new Perlino colt and am considering a halter class in the fall.

thanks

Christina

I own a few perlinos. I'm doubtful they could consistently sweep (or ever sweep) a color class (but oh... their foals will!). However, halter is how the horse is put together, vs. how attractive the judge personally finds the color, and you shouldn't be discouraged about showing a perlino in halter. Some have done really well.

To me, color class is fun to do if you have a nicely colored horse, but the only classes that are meaningful to me when it comes to wins (and this is just ME and my opinion) are halter and driving. But some love color and some love liberty... halter obstacle, hunter... it's so cool with minis that there are so many ways to show them and so many opportunities to be competitive.

Color class, especially in AMHR where conformation is not a factor, is just about what color the judge likes the best that day. It's like you may really like the color red, but to me, purple is much prettier
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Twila our bay roan mare consistently won or placed highly in color class when shown. Surprisingly our red roan does horrible. He has better conformation, but his color washes out in poor light and he's often the same color as the dirt so doesn't show well in color.

Generally though it is bucksins hands down. Blacks, bays, reds depending on coat and the judges.

Personally though a solid grey that is uber conditioned - wow factor in solid color. I have seen some perlino/cremellos do well but its not that common.

I've shown silver dapples to World Top 10's in color. This year I have a solid chestnut with chrome qualified for the AMHA World Show.

As has been mentioned, buckskins are always a winner and any other color with a shiney, healthy coat!

Good strong solid colors with a little chrome. The really striking silver bays usually do very well!

Charlotte

The lighting in the arena is a significant contributing factor...the Soanaway, Washington, facility has atrocious lighting, and the top placing horses were dillutes and double dillutes -- those that showed up in a dimly lit arena.

I would put color classes with Liberty in that youi should do it primarily for the fun of it all...you really shouldn't put too much stock in either your placings or that of others. That said, I do appreciate the blues we've gotten in both color and Liberty!

Latest posts

Back