From a buyers prospective

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my posts was deleted, something about breaking a rule or something.

I don't intentionally break rules, if I offended anyone with the examples of what I consider buyer friendly website sale pages

I apologize. It was simply an example. Lots of people have their web site attached to their signature. I'm unsure where posting examples is breaking the rules. Even put a disclaimer that I did not personally know the people.

Again, if I offended anyone I'm sorry and I would appreciate if the main mod person would contact me privately to discuss this matter.

I'm sure there are several mods, Respectfully I'd like to talk to the head mare in the barn
smile.gif
Thank you.

Update: After re reading the rules, I can see where it 'could' be that I broke a rule.

Please note those examples of web sites that I had posted earlier were just examples of what I considered to be 'buyer friendly, easily navigated sites. As an example, not for any other reason. I don't even know the people. Again my apologies.

Don't feel bad. I got my hand "virtually" slapped not long ago simply by mentioning in an off-hand way that I'd HAD a gelding for s@$e, but had decided to keep him. Just that word, s@$e got my entire post deleted, yet I see that word here all the time.
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

As a seller with an active website, I will leave a horse on my Sales page for the following reasons: A horse with a deposit paid will be marked 'sale pending'. I don't want to remove that horse until it is paid in full and leaves my property. Things happen and the horse may end up being for sale again. Easier if it stays on the page.

I don't keep a Sold page, so therefore, any horse that has been marked as sold will stay on my Sales page until that horse is paid in full and physically leaves my property. Same reasoning as above. Sometimes things happen and the horse ends up not being sold at all. I pay a webmaster to maintain my website, so it works better for her if there aren't constant changes. However, I do keep my website up to date.

I try to respond to all inquiries quickly. I know from my own personal experience that when a buyer is looking, they want info NOW. It can make the difference between a sale or a buyer going elsewhere.

I will be doing some updates to my site hopefully today. I just hope people do take into consideration that this time of year is foaling season and show season. Its a very hectic time for those of us that both breed and show. Especially smaller farms that do all the foaling, breeding, training and showing themselves. Its not an easy time of year for sure. I honestly prefer to talk to people via phone either as a buyer or a seller. I dont mind doing the premliminary questions in email but once it gets down to the nitty gritty I prefer a phone conversation
default_smile.png

Some good tips. I am guilty of leaving sold horses on my for "sale page." I don't have a separate "sold" page, so, i also leave any horses i have sold, on the for sale page for a period of time. . BUT I do agree, that I don't like looking at websites that have all SOLD horses on their for sale page. (and have to sort them them)

So, i just had the daughter update our site with a simple fix,,, for sale horses on the top part of page, and sold horses on the bottom part of page... simple
default_biggrin.png

This is a good topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a peeve, someone list that horse was Reserve champion to find out it went to a show where there was only two horses in the division, or grand champ and it was the only one.

I know sometimes shows are small and things happen, but to see the horse has attended several shows and placed last in each class with competition.

This is a great topic. I am in the middle of revamping my entire website. The suggestions here from everyone really help. I do have an issue when people list their horses on sales pages(like LB sales ads) with links back to their website and you can't find the horses they are talking about. If I find a horse I like and follow the link just to find the listed horse is not on the web sale page. I leave that site.

As a seller with an active website, I will leave a horse on my Sales page for the following reasons: A horse with a deposit paid will be marked 'sale pending'. I don't want to remove that horse until it is paid in full and leaves my property. Things happen and the horse may end up being for sale again. Easier if it stays on the page.

I don't keep a Sold page, so therefore, any horse that has been marked as sold will stay on my Sales page until that horse is paid in full and physically leaves my property. Same reasoning as above. Sometimes things happen and the horse ends up not being sold at all. I pay a webmaster to maintain my website, so it works better for her if there aren't constant changes. However, I do keep my website up to date.
That's different if someone puts 'sale pending' Because I know if I see 'sale pending' and I really want it I'll call and ask the person to call me if the sale falls through.

I posted some examples of what in my opinion is buyer / user friendly but it needed to be removed cause it was breaking s forum rule

which now that one of the mods explained it to me makes total sense. So if anyone would like some examples of buyer/user friendly

sale page web sites please IM me and I'll send them to you. DISCLAIMER: I don't in any way know these people on any level

(personally or business wise) In fact they don't even have mini's.

To me a buyer / user friendly site when I'm looking for something to buy is as such (but not limited to)

1) A page where I can see everything for sale and can click on an individual horse and come up with their page.

2) After clicking on the individual page it shows 4 or more pictures including both sides, back and front. Followed by (if Poss)

something to click on to see a video where I can see the animal move. Then it's pedigree, a list of achievements is applicable

and if possible a some pictures of it's get. It's price and is available, pending or sold but not yet left the farm.

3) Little personal sentiment, we all have to make choices and sacrifices. To hear I really don't want to sell him but bla bla bla.

However if your price does not reflect the quality, theres a great comment.

'Price does not reflect the quality of this mare, she is being sold at this price for fast movement due to circumstances.'

Or 'Price does not reflect quality, life happens. My loss/your gain, be blessed'

Ok ran out of time, IM me if you'd like examples.

One last thought, several and I do mean several as in 5 or more have said they don't have a video cam

and don't know how to do the YouTube thing. I'm headed over to my sons home and my daughter-in-law is quite talented and

did the website for my businesses (non horse related) Maybe after the kids are in bed my DIL and I can figure it out and pass the information on to others.

Don't make me hunt for sales horses. I don't want to look through the Geldings, Mares, Foals,etc. pages looking for what you have for sale. Just a Sales page, all together. It can be a long sales page... I personally don't like clicking through Stallions for Sale, Mares for Sale, Foals for sale, etc. because it takes too much time.
I agree. I hate it when I get to a website and they expect ME to do the work to look for a horse for sale. I maintain my own website and I know it does not take that much time ... much less than a lot of people spend on forums!

I have a slow internet connect, so I will not spend the time waiting for page after page to load. I will also walk away if a sales page starts to load and I start to see all of the horses have been sold. And on average, I buy a horse a year, so I am not just a window shopper.

I do have an issue when people list their horses on sales pages(like LB sales ads) with links back to their website and you can't find the horses they are talking about. If I find a horse I like and follow the link just to find the listed horse is not on the web sale page. I leave that site.
I agree. And if you don't have a website, use a free app like Facebook or Photobucket to load your photos on line. Please don't expect me to email you for photos.

Maybe I'm brutal but I like NO DICKER STICKERS.

This is my bottom line, take it or leave it. Oh you want to by 2 or 3 or 4 from me, Ok let's make a deal. Maybe it's age and being busy, but we all have been tuned to ask for more than what we want cause people will try to get us down. But I love the no dicker sticker people. Give me your bottom line and I'll take it or leave it. I'm do busy to haggle.

It bothers me. It irritates me.

Video, that is one thing that has truly shocked me is the number of mini breeders with no video.

You can get a video thingy whatever they call it now a days, flip, cam corder, whatever

and theres YouTube. Lot's a pictures, back, sides, front and a 1 or 2 minute video of it moving.

I bet things like that would make sales go through the roof.

I mean people with other species that are half or a third of the price do video.

It's not all that costly. However as an old poop who has to get her 32 y/o son or the daughter-in-law to help me

with my own website and anything else to do with something as simple as posting a picture

I do have pity on those who are as technologically challenged as I am.
rolleyes.gif

OH and another pet peeve, why do so many people have only foal or a yearling picture up on their sale pages when they are actually trying to sell a 3 y/o or worse yet a 5 or 10 y/o?

Last thought and I need to go do some yard work and get ready for my week-end with my daughter-in-law and granddaughters. (Son is working out of town)

You wanna sell and not waste your time on people, emails, pictures and phone calls?

Lay all your cards out on the table so by your website you're only getting calls and emails from those who want what you got while turning away those who don't want what you got. Another words use your time wisely and respect other peoples time.

I would have a sales page, that if I'm selling a 3 y/o I'd have current pictures, and maybe a picture of when it was a foal and a yearling. Then a small video clip of it moving so people can see movement. If it has produced maybe a picture of what it produced.

HEY people I'm a major marketer. The Lord just seemed to bless me with a big mouth and a tough backbone who can take rejection (grin) At one time when the economy was good I had my products in over 100 stores in several states. Those were the good ole days.

Would it not be less time consuming to put that all up on your website rather than have to talk to, email pics and such to 5 to 10 individuals looking to buy that horse? And instead of emailing and talking to 10 and only one buys, maybe the other 8 or 9 would say, ok seen enough, not for me and you'd only have to deal with the one or two who were in the end, the interested parties. You can either spend an hour on your website with a nice cup of coffee or you can talk to 8 to 10 people for 15 to 30 mins each. Not to mention time spent emailing pictures after the conversation.

AMEN!!!!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

GrandmaCm, I agree with you. I find looking for a miniature horse to be frustrating. Fortunately, I have managed to deal with a few people who are very easy to work with. Those sellers that irritate me lose a sale to me.

Was looking at a website 'SALE' page 'today. As I scrolled down all I read was SOLD next one SOLD
rolleyes.gif
next one SOLD
deadhorse2.gif
next one SOLD

About the 4th or 5th SOLD I said #@#@# it and clicked off the site all together. They have beautiful horses.

But I'm not looking for a needle in a hay stack. I'm looking for horses darn it. Sorry but IMHO SOLD horses do not need to be left on sales pages. If they had something I may of liked, they just lost my interest. I'll move on to another site whose horses on the sales page are truly currently for sale.

Hey Michelle (Wesco) Don't feel too bad, I'm guilty as charged too! My webmaster does a very nice job and I do need to update badly especially when things are changing on my farm drastically.

I am planning to take all new pictures this spring but darn it, I don't want to post pictures of my horses in their winter hair coats and its just too cold here yet to clip. And you are correct Grandma C, I don't need "sold" horses on my sale page either. Very good point.

. And you are correct Grandma C, I don't need "sold" horses on my sale page either. Very good point.
Yes but at least some of the horses on your web page are actually still for sale and even the first on your sale page is still for sale.

(Nick) and Noelle is not sold, she is pending. And I do understand if one isn't running their own website. I'm very

lucky I have a daughter-in-law to do my website. My websites (non horse related) lacks prices but it's because I wholesale and it's mainly for the store owners to see not those buying retail.

Hey Marty! I'm horrid admittedly so, of taking bad photos! We did registration photos and none would I put on my website!

I guess all we can do is strive to have better sites for buyers.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back