Fresh fodder?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt's Fault

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
How many feed fresh fodder? With the low cost, high nutritional value and the convenience of an endless supply of forage we are looking into setting up a system. This week 3 feed stores were out of coastal and Tifton. When I found hay there was a 4 bale limit. Any real world experience?

I looked into that years ago (during a hay shortage). The initial cost stopped me. You also have to have a suitable place to put it (I didn't). There is maintenance, the cost/availability of the seed, etc. But I didn't get far enough to research that part. I hope someone on here has experience they are willing to share.

We have been doing hydroponics, aquaponics and other non standard farming for a few years now. We already have the tempature controlled space and the initial build cost is $6800 for 200lbs a day of feed,, so not cheap but expected and expandable. We know that the fooder will benefit our thoroughbred but don't know if it will be to rich for the minis. Our vets have been very little help.

Fodder is high moisture content, so needs to be fed in higher quantities than dry hay. I only minimally looked into it and found it's recommended it not be over around 50% of the forage portion of the diet.
I just don't have the room to grow enough for my animals, since I have over a dozen minis, now. Not sure how it would work in our sub-freezing temps much of the winter.

Back