Frequency of feeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llamamama

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question regarding a feeding schedule. I currently leave for work at 6:30 and return about 4:30. Is it possible to properly care for minis with this sort of schedule?
Thank u!

I feed my horses, regardless of size, twice a day (have for over 30 years, the minis the last 13 years). Slow feeder hay nets are good to help hay last longer, especially if hay is limited/metered for some reason.

I would venture that the vast majority of horses get fed twice a day. Multiple feedings are great, but for anyone working away from home it's just not realistic.

As Chanda mentioned, hay nets keep hay in front of your horses at all times. Be careful to get one with openings small enough that they can't get a hoof caught, especially if you have one that paws. There are numerous types of slow feeders out there, from nets to pillows to grids that fit in tubs. I admit to being paranoid with my kids, so I'm still looking for the perfect, yet affordable, slow feeder.

Thank you Chandab. I would love to be home all day with my projects. Unfortunately, it's not feasible. It just seems weird to feed in the morning in the dark.

I feed my horses in the dark, morning and night for a little over four months of the year. I make a couple of extra feeds up and put lids on the buckets, as I have no lights in my feed shed, it makes it easier for me.

Did that for over 30 years....left the house about the same time, feeding enough hay to get them through the day. Fed any grain/oats, more hay, cleaned and filled water tanks, etc. at night. Don't over-think it. They will be fine!

Interesting to read this. I thought all animals were fed morning and night. My father in law (late) use to feed his full size horses and the cattle. I hope you get it figured out good for you.

That hay net, could it be filled late in the evening for overnight and morning, then a feed when you get back from home?

Latest posts

Back