Free photo editing programs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
I just got a new computer & don't have a photo editing program on it. I can't afford to buy anything at the moment so was looking at free downloads--I was looking at GIMP and Photoscape--are either of these two good?

I just need something that will let me crop and resize photos, and something that will let me remove unwanted things from photos....like me when I'm in the front bit of the horse photos!
default_laugh.png
I don't like being in photos!!!

I did start to download GIMP but with dial up internet it said it was going to take 5 1/2 hours--I didn't want to wait 5 1/2 hours for it to download, then discover that it wasn't what I wanted anyway.

Which of those two programs would you recommend, or is there something else out there that I might like better (or that might take less time to download on dial up)?

Picnik.com is wonderful and what I use..lots of options. Yes,the setup looks sort of "silly", however, it is very powerful. After a couple weeks I purchased the the paid account (mostly to use the clone stamp tool) and several other editing/enhancing tools. Its always updated with theme's as well. Its simple to use, you do not have to download anything it is all done straight in their website. You can save the edited pictures to photobucket, your computer, facebook, twitter, email......its wonderful...

If you wish to purchase the paid account, its only like $24 for the year or a couple dollars a month if you rather the expense be broken down and it comes directly out of your debit/CC....I consider that really reasonable for how often I use it (almost daily) and it does not limit the amount of edits you can do or uploads..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second the recommendation for Picnik.com. It is so incredibly easy to use, and when you're done editing, it saves it right back to the folder on your computer it came from in the first place. I always give it a new name...like if it was picture .019, I'll add 'cropped' or whatever to the name so that when I open that file of pictures it will say .019 cropped and I'll know that's the one I worked with.

I'm sure it has many more capabilities than I know how to use, but it's had what I needed so far with a minimal learning curve. Try it!

Jayne

I haven't looked in a while, but Google's PICASA might work for you too.

Also, sometimes BJ's or Costco or Sams will have the previous version of Photoshop Elements for $30 or less. The changes between versions is often very minimal for someone use it on a basic level. If you don't have one locally, you can watch for it on Costco site. You don't have to be a member to buy. You'll just pay a surcharge of 5 or 6%.

P.S. I likely have an old version of Photoshop Elements...maybe 2.0 or 3.0? that I don't use anymore. It's still quite usable, works with older versions of Windows (like Windows 2000 and XP). If you'd like, I can look for it and send it out to you. OOPS! Just realized you said you got a *new* computer. This likely won't work then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't looked in a while, but Google's PICASA might work for you too.

Also, sometimes BJ's or Costco or Sams will have the previous version of Photoshop Elements for $30 or less. The changes between versions is often very minimal for someone use it on a basic level. If you don't have one locally, you can watch for it on Costco site. You don't have to be a member to buy. You'll just pay a surcharge of 5 or 6%.

P.S. I likely have an old version of Photoshop Elements...maybe 2.0 or 3.0? that I don't use anymore. It's still quite usable, works with older versions of Windows (like Windows 2000 and XP). If you'd like, I can look for it and send it out to you. OOPS! Just realized you said you got a *new* computer. This likely won't work then.

I love PhotoFiltre, is easy to use and learn. PhotoFiltre

wingnut--I should have said "newer"--it's not new, just a lot newer & stronger than the one I had before! I had to upgrade a bit--I was still running Windows98 & could no longer get an anti-virus program for it. Besides, that computer was on its last legs--was freezing up a lot and just quite slow. Now I've got a newer/stronger one that is running WindowsXP and Office 2010--still not real fast thanks to my dial-up, but it runs a lot better. I'll send you a PM.

I tried the Picnik site--thanks to my dialup internet I don't think it will work for me--I tried to upload a photo to try it out & it was taking forever. So, I don't think I have the patience for that, not for as many photos as I have to resize at times.

I'll check those other two listed here.

Thank you!

Back