free lounging

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
Hi, I am starting to train my yearling colt, and I was wondering what is the difference between free lounging and normal lounging?

Well I do both. Lunging is on a long leadline persay which is like 3 times as long as a normal lead and the horse circles around oyu while you urge forward the paces you want him to take. Using a whip but you dont physically hit the horse you use a lunbge whip which makis a crakcing noise if you must! Free Lounging is in a small pen or round pen where oyu keep the horse moving the trot is the best way to build muscle faster int always better
default_wink.png
:

since hes just a yearling round penning would be much better for him then lunging. most yearlings dont need any at all or maybe just really light lunging. You dont want to overstress developing ligaments etc. Most this age play so hard that they keep themselves in shape if fed correctly

We have a 40 x 80, arena, or large round pen. So obviously this would be to big to free lunge right? Is it safe to lunge them on a line at this age? He is just turning 1.

We free longe in a corral that is 60' x 120'--there's 2 of us, one at each end, to keep the horse moving. I like the bigger corral because it doesn't stress their legs like when they're on the line or in a round pen. Plus I have the long sides of the corral where I can ask for extensions, and we can be more creative--do figure 8's & such.

Latest posts

Back